Author Topic: Internet Explorer 8  (Read 28560 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer 8
« Reply #207 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 08:15 BST (UK) »
I understand what you are saying Nick but it matters not whether Microsoft gave any warning. The origin of the problems is still the responsibility of Microsoft. Microsoft knew that the way they developed and implemented IE8 would cause problems for some web sites.

Graham, if what you are suggesting was implemented, then the internet would never move forward, and we would all be stuck with the same boring websites that we had in the late 1990's, which relied on pure HTML, and with no java or Flash.   For technology to move forward, the old technology has to fall by the wayside, because backwards compatability isn't always possible.

The problems which IE8 creates on some systems - which have come about as a result of the way Microsoft developed the product - are not solely related to the web page coding. There are reasons why those other problems occur. Microsoft, if they have a properly documented specification and properly structured testing regime, should be able to state why those problems occur. In my case the fact is that, so far, they have been unwilling or unable to do so.

I think you are exaggerating a little !  As far as I'm aware, the only other problems seen with IE8 have been with CD's auto-running on Vista systems, and slow starting of IE8 when the innoculation feature of Spybot Search and Destroy have been used, and the latter is easily fixed.  You've had  the former problem for about two weeks, and Microsoft are aware of it.  It takes a little while to iron out bugs and to test for release.   I really don't see this as an excuse to hijack every other post on IE8 with your moaning.  It really only serves to put people off IE8, before they've even had a chance to try it.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 11:59 BST (UK) »
I understand what you are saying Nick but it matters not whether Microsoft gave any warning. The origin of the problems is still the responsibility of Microsoft. Microsoft knew that the way they developed and implemented IE8 would cause problems for some web sites.

Graham, if what you are suggesting was implemented, then the internet would never move forward, and we would all be stuck with the same boring websites that we had in the late 1990's, which relied on pure HTML, and with no java or Flash.   For technology to move forward, the old technology has to fall by the wayside, because backwards compatability isn't always possible.

Having previously spent over 30 years in IT, I disagree. Backwards compatibility is possible if it is designed in. Microsoft have made a conscious decision to design IE8 in the way that they have no matter what the effect on rendering of existing web sites. That is a business decision which is theirs to make but that doesn't remove the responsibility for the decision from the company.

Whether any site is boring is a matter of personal preference.

The problems which IE8 creates on some systems - which have come about as a result of the way Microsoft developed the product - are not solely related to the web page coding. There are reasons why those other problems occur. Microsoft, if they have a properly documented specification and properly structured testing regime, should be able to state why those problems occur. In my case the fact is that, so far, they have been unwilling or unable to do so.

I think you are exaggerating a little !  As far as I'm aware, the only other problems seen with IE8 have been with CD's auto-running on Vista systems, and slow starting of IE8 when the innoculation feature of Spybot Search and Destroy have been used, and the latter is easily fixed.  You've had  the former problem for about two weeks, and Microsoft are aware of it.  It takes a little while to iron out bugs and to test for release.   I really don't see this as an excuse to hijack every other post on IE8 with your moaning.  It really only serves to put people off IE8, before they've even had a chance to try it.

As I said yesterday, a Google search for IE8 problems brings up millions of hits - is Google exaggerating? If there are only one or two problems the numbers must mean that the effect is widespread.

I agree that it takes a little while to iron out bugs and to test for release. I spent enough years doing that myself as a software developer. What is required during that time, though, is effective customer service providing proper communication with the affected end user.

My criticisms of Microsoft, based on fact, are no more moaning than your opposite view is that of an apologist for a flawed product.

Graham

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 14:58 BST (UK) »
My criticisms of Microsoft, based on fact, are no more moaning than your opposite view is that of an apologist for a flawed product.

Not at all Graham.  My motives for posting on this thead are the same as they ever were - to help others with their problems, which is what I was trying to do when you posted your latest complaint.  I am not an apologist for Microsoft, and I have never denied your claims that IE8 has flaws - name one piece of software that doesn't !

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 15:30 BST (UK) »

Not at all Graham.  My motives for posting on this thead are the same as they ever were - to help others with their problems, which is what I was trying to do when you posted your latest complaint.  I am not an apologist for Microsoft, and I have never denied your claims that IE8 has flaws - name one piece of software that doesn't !

Nick, if you read my post (as quoted by you above) properly you will see that I was not accusing you of being an apologist for Microsoft, quite the opposite in fact.

I do note, though, that this is not the first time you have accused me of moaning as well as accusing me of talking rubbish. If that comes within your definition of helping people with their problems then so be it, we shall have to agree to differ.

It is also irrelevant to this discussion whether or not any other software has flaws. Again, if you look back at my posts you will see that my concern is not simply that IE8 is flawed but also the way in which Microsoft is addressing (or not) those flaws and the fact that they have directed my support request to a number of teams which have nothing at all to do with IE8.

Graham

Online GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Saturday 13 June 09 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hurrah and Huzzah !!!!! Yesterday, four weeks to the day after first contacting Microsoft, I received a solution to my problem.

Somehow a particular registry key had been set to (what IE8, but not other browsers, considered to be) an invalid value. Setting it to the correct value enabled IE8 to function correctly.

I'm still waiting for further tests to be carried out by Microsoft for the reason why the invalid value occurred and why IE8 did not trap and report it as an error, rather than simply refusing to work without explanation.

I'm also waiting for confirmation of whether the fix will work in all cases. If any more of our customers experience problems I should like to be able to tell them the reason and how to correct the problem.

Graham

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Saturday 13 June 09 10:07 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know about my problem accessing GR.

I contacted Microsoft via their on-line support dept and they responded within 24 hours with a number of solutions (all of which failed to help).

I emailed them back asking how I could reverse the installation back to IE 7 and within a matter of hours an update came through which completely resolved the issue.
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 17:46 BST (UK) »
Microsoft have now confirmed that the fix supplied to me should work for other people but have been unable to explain how the registry key was given the wrong value, though it has to be something to do with the IE8 installation routine.

It's a bit annoying that Microsoft didn't prevent the error from occurring in IE8 because one of the references they supplied me with - Here - shows that they have been aware of the possibilities of problems for a couple of years.

Microsoft have, however, agreed that a program should never end abnormally without providing a feedback message to the user. If that had happened in this case then it would have taken rather less than four weeks, and rather less wasted time, for MS to provide the solution. All being well they will also take on board the need to amend the IE8 code to always supply a reason when an Abend occurs.

Graham

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
If that's the case Graham, then the sooner they practise what they preach the better. Will now have a look at the link you mentioned.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 17:54 BST (UK) »
Another good reason not to go for IE8 in XP
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)