Author Topic: London Metroplitan Archives Lookup request  (Read 5561 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: London Metroplitan Archives Lookup request
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 June 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne

thanks for your replies and your interest in my problem.

I am not convinced that I have the right birth certificate in the Mary Ann Watts born in 1855 in the workhouse. I had taken my lead from the only census that I could find for a Mary Watts born in 1855 with a father (or grandfather possibly) who was called Frederick and was a tailor as stated on the marriage certificate. This Census was for 1871. I haven't been able to locate this Frederick Watts on any other census either before or after 1871 with the same family.

Whilst the Mary Watts in the 1871 Census may not be the correct one it may just be possible that the Minnie Watts age 10 is the right one and was actually christened Mary Ann (or Louisa see below) and possibly adopted the first names of Mary Ann.

Funnily enough my Mary Ann Watts who married age 20 to John Goodey in 1880 had a daughter in 1888 who although christened Louisa was always known as Minnie in the family.

I have found No Mary Ann or Minnie or any other name beginning with M or Louisa Watts born with a birth registered in Lambeth between Mar 1860 and Dec 1862. no Minnie Hunt born with birth registered in Lambeth between 1860 and 1862. in Free BMD searches
However I have found two possible births with the surname Hunt which Mary Ann gave as her maiden name on the births of some of her children in
Birth Dec Q 1862 HUNT    Mary Ann        Lambeth    1d   280
Birth Jun Q 1860 HUNT    Louisa        Lambeth    1d   233

I have doubted that the children in the 1871 Census with Frederick Watts were his children at least by his wife Mary as they are both age 60 and the youngest child Minnie is age 10. It just seemed so unlikely that Frederick and in particular his wife would have had a child when age 50 in those times. Also I have had no luck in finding possible dates of death for Frederick and his wife Mary before 1881 even though Mary Ann on her marriage certificate says her father Frederic Watts was deceased at the time of her marriage to John Goodey.

I have access to Ancestry which has not helped me to resolve my problem concerning exactly who Mary Ann Watts (or hunt) was and who really were her parents.

Any further suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

best wishes

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts