Author Topic: JOHN COOPER - Conjuror  (Read 1360 times)

Offline davebrady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Check Out my website - www.davebrady.co.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN COOPER - Conjuror
« on: Saturday 09 May 09 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anybody had any info on a JOHN ROBERT COOPER. He was involved with the travelling circus and regularly appeared at Belle Vue, Manchester 1930-40's-ish.
We dont know where or when he was born, but we do have a few snippets of information which hopefully someone might recognise:-
Around 1918 he was in Norfolk where he ran off with a married woman called MARY LE GRYS (nee MICKLEBURGH). They had three children PERCY, GABY DESLEY and ROY and after travelling around the country with Circus's and Music Hall they all settled in a caravan in Grey Mare Lane, Manchester and later a house in Dainton Street also in Manchester.
He died in 1960 and his profession was listed as Professional Conjuror on his death certificate.
Anybody recognise him ?
BRADY (Cavan/Dublin/Liverpool)  HUGHES (Wirral/Liverpool)
CAFFREY (??/Liverpool)                JENNINGS (Devon/Liverpool)
COLLINSON (Chester/Liverpool)  JONES (Llanidloes/Welshpool/Liverpool)
COOPER (??/Manches/Liverpool)  LE GRYS (Norfolk)
DAY (Devon)                                 MICKLEBURGH (Norfolk/Manchester)
EASTWOOD (Devon/Liverpool)     OLIVER (Welshpool/Liverpool)
ENNIS (Liverpool)                         PIERCE (Southampton/Liverpool)

Offline JohnTurb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN COOPER - Conjuror
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 15 18:36 BST (UK) »
14th Sept 1907 Mary Emma Gertrude Mickleburgh married Herbert Samuel Le Grys at Dickleburgh, Norfolk. They had two children and Herbert died in 1945. My notes only show she died in 1959 and they had 3 children.
Mary Emma Gertrude was christened at Hargham on 14th Sept 1884 a dau of John Samuel, a farmer and Mary Anne Mickleburgh. She was born on 16th Feb. Her christening also appears in Dickleburgh, these two records need to be crosschecked as I did this research many years ago and suspect there is an error here.

That's all I know.

John