Author Topic: Milton Union Workhouse  (Read 5200 times)

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Milton Union Workhouse
« on: Monday 21 February 05 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I have just discovered that a relative in my tree lived in and worked up through the ranks to eventually be the Master of the Milton Union Workhouse.

After the death of his mother, Edward CROUCHER and his brother Stanley were found in the workhouse in the 1871 census.  Ages 14 and 12 and both born in Harlip, Kent.

In 1881, Edward became the Porter at the workhouse.  At that time, Stanley was living with a Cousin, a member of his mothers family.

In 1884, Edward married Florence Jessie Alice Howes in Islington and started a family.

In 1891, Edward is listed as the "Relieving Officer" at the Workhouse and in 1901, the "Relieving Officer - Poor Law".

I have now found a website about the Milton Workhouse, dated 1908 where it has him listed as the "Master".  His wife is listed as the "Matron".  There is also a listing for an S.P. CROUCHER that is the "Master's Clerk"

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/

Left Hand Side of Page - Workhouse Locations, English Poor Law Unions, Staffordshire

Can anyone tell me if the Relieving Officer is the same as the Master?  Would anyone have any books that may contain a picture of this family?  Or further information?  I would love to know more.

Thanks for reading,

Nancy Attwater
Attwater - Kent & London England (All spelling variations)
Goodwin - Kent & London England
Cronin - Ontario & Ireland
Clancy - Peter Robinson Expedition - Ontario, Canada & Rockmills, Cork, Ireland
Kenneally - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Redmond - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Shepley - Ontario, Canada & Lancashire, England