Author Topic: The children of Walter and Louisa please  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Cheryl16

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The children of Walter and Louisa please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 May 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Barbara.

I have searched and searched for them.  I think one or other or both has under gone a name change for whatever reason. As for oddly named Smith girls.... we do have a few in the family but these really have defeated me.

Cheryl
Smith, Burrell. Covell, Stonebridge

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 May 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
That daughter born around 1850 - could that not be a variation on Eleanor - Eliner?

There is a birth registration in Oakham, 1849 for an Eleanor Jane Smith. Oakham district covers Stretton which looks like her place of birth in 1861.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 May 09 13:31 BST (UK) »
Stretton - another possibility for what I thought might be Ketton ..

still can't see them 1851 though  :-\
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 May 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
Me neither, though I have found a possible candidate for the Eleanor Jane whose birth regitration I found. She is Ellen Jane in 1851 and the daughter of William and Elizabeth Smith, so not much use, I'm afraid.

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 May 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
Jen, I've been doing that with the children all morning, thinking I'd found one then census spoilt it all  ;D ;D
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Cheryl16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 May 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much... I think they missed the deadline for 1851 and 1841!
The 1861 enumerater's writing doesn't help much does it?. I can't tell with daughter 2 whether it begins with E or U, looking at the way he has written Unm in the status box I think it might be U but.......???

As for the other daughter well ... Toazlier or Toaylier or Yoazlier I am now beginning to wish she had been called Mary Ann! I have trawled through all the Northampton BMD from 1838 to 1842
and nothing jumps out for her. Each time I see a possible and check on IGI she turns out to be completely the wrong person. 

Thanks again
Cheryl

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 May 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
I can't make any sense of the first daughter's name.

Like you, I have been going through BMDs and earlier censuses with no luck at all. But there were some amazing Smith names around at the time, of which Fanneyretia has to be my favourite.

Sorry, that's of no use to anyone but I had to share it with someone! ;D

Jen

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 May 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
Glad you did!

Cheryl, they may not have been registered at all, they were tinmen and hawkers and although they seem to have settled later, may have been travelling earlier on

Barbara

Offline Cheryl16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 May 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
Barbara,

I know they may have not been registered. It's just  bugging me because I really want to connect them to another family in the tree!   :'(

I think they will have to go the back burner for the time being whilst I look at some others. Plenty more Smiths out there.

Thanks again.

Cheryl