Author Topic: Fromelles missing - GOULDING (Qld/NSW)  (Read 8131 times)

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fromelles missing - GOULDING (Qld/NSW)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 September 10 07:12 BST (UK) »
John Joseph Goulding was not amongst those individually identified in the first round of testing so presumably a suitable person to provide a DNA has yet to be found.

His parents were William Marshall Goulding and Julia Alice Fenn married in Sep qtr 1881.

Julia Alice Fenn's parents appear to have been John Fenn b c 1835 Ely and Mary Ann Adcock b c 1836 Spalding.

On the 1861 census Julia Alice Fenn's older sister appears - Lucy E Fenn aged 5 mos b Holbeach. It appears that she may have married Thomas Gibbs in Mar qtr 1880 and this may be a route to finding a maternal line descendant.

Her mother Mary Ann Adcock is on the 1851 census with sisters Lucy (b Spalding 13 yrs), Julia (b Spalding 8yrs ) and Amy (b. Gosberton 6yrs ) who may also be routes to identifying an Mt DNA relative for John Joseph Goulding.

Best, Howard
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline Brambledown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 October 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi.  :)
John Joseph Goulding's mother Julia Alice Fenn was my great aunt her husband was William Marshall Goulding b 1858 Upwell Norfolk, they emigrated from England in 1889  aboard the ss Dacca arriving in Brisbane on 1/4/1889.  Also travelling with them was  W M Goulding's sister Elizabeth Rebecca Goulding b1867c Upwell Norfolk, she later married Charles Chapman in Sydney in 1892.  They went to live in Murwillumbah and are recorded in the Electoral Rolls living close to the Goulding family.  The Chapman's had 4 children Laurie, Archie, Henry and Charles E.  The Goulding's had 7 children John Joseph, William Marshall, Catherine Ellen. Walter. Alice, Thomas Harold and Arthur George. The last 4 were born in Australia.

Would like info about any of these people as they may be able to help identify John Joseph Goulding's remains amongst those found near Fromelles.

Have attached John Joseph Goulding's photograph taken after his enlistment with the AIF.

Cheers

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 06:01 BST (UK) »
Let me be the first to welcome you to rootschat. I'm sure those involved in this project will be very happy to hear from you.  ;D

I'll leave it to them to discuss this further with you.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 06:14 BST (UK) »
May I also welcome you to RChat and confirm that Ruskie's advice is the best !

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 October 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Brambledown,

I believe we may have been asssisting one an other on GR ;-)

In terms of identifying John Joseph Goulding's remains the above info from Brambledown is very interesting.

Alas it is very unlikely that any of Elizabeth Rebecca Chapman's children are still alive - so that rules out that as a source of mitochondrial DNA.

It seem strange that none of William Marshall Goulding's sons lines have produced a traceable descendant in the male line who might be able to help with a Y DNA match.

Fortunately I have traced and located a suitable descendant in the female line who has agreed to provide the Australian MOD with a DNA sample for Mt DNA matching, should they so request it.

Best,

Howard
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline Brambledown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 October 10 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Tjapaltjarri

I have indeed been assisting you with my family tree via GR. Re the Chapman children. Laurie the first born, was a girl.  If she has married and had female offspring wouldn't they be suitable for DNA testing??  Just a thought.  The available BMD records searchable on-line do not enable me to answer that question.  Maybe someone out there can take this bit of research forward.

Happy hunting

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 October 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Wahey Brambledown   ::),

That's absolutely correct, Laurie's children and any children of her daughters - if she had any, would be suitable matches on Mt DNA - mind you in our family Laurie was a boy - my wife's father; kia in 1943 flying a Mosquito for the RAF and no known grave - hence my passion for this quest.

Let us hope someone in Australia can pick up the baton to help on this one. but we have my distantly related Mt DNA relative as a backup  :)

Best,

Howard

Offline Brambledown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 October 10 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Tjapaltjarri

My reasoning that Laurie, is in this instance, female is that I found Laurie listed on the Electoral role as at home doing 'home duties' no other occupation given.  I am sure that would not have been given as a description if Laurie had been male.

All the best

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Perhaps this is a good day to update the news on Private Goulding.

http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/2012/03/31/fromelles-nine-more-world-war-i-diggers-identified/

Debra  :)