Author Topic: Matthew COCK Railway employee  (Read 3433 times)

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew COCK Railway employee
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 May 09 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hello  there Julie

Have you  thought of  investigating the local newspaper for an article about his retirement? Newspapers often carry  stories on  folk who have worked for a firm for a long time and  then retired.

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline jellybeans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 May 09 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn,
Thanks for your suggestion, I hadn't thought of newspapers, so will look in to that as well.
Regards, Julie
Lancashire, England: Barlow, Butterworth, Clegg,  Lord, Howarth, Morris, Peak, Pickup, Walker, Wilkinson.
Ayrshire Scotland: Dyet, Irvine.
Cornwall England: Cock.
Wexford Ireland:  Murphy.

Offline iferg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 May 11 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie. After doing my family tree and discovering Matthew Cyril Cock is the brother of my grandmother, Ethel Frances Healy Ferguson (nee Cock), I made a few extended phone calls. Unfortunately I come up with no records of his working career. His older sister Beryl Constance Speers(nee Cock) worked as a school teacher at Yackandandah buried at Kiewa Victoria, and an older brother john(Jack) Cock who moved to Port Adelaide with his wife.Maybe a search and a few phone calls may lead you closer(relatives may still live in area). I'm still unsure if he married. So apart from not having much info, my homework continues. Shall keep you updated if news arises. I'd appreciate any info you may have of Matthew. By the way, my  grandfather was a railway employee b/w Footscray and Williamstown most of  his life and on giving him a mantle clock with his name engraved 'H.S.Furguson' in 1947, they managed to spell FERGUSON incorrectly!! It could be another avenue to look into.
Regards Lee

Offline jellybeans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 May 11 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Lee,
Sorry it has taken so long to reply to your message, have had lots going on at work, and haven't checked emails for a while.
My partner, Don, is related through Matthew. We went to Chiltern where Matthew was born, last November, and found the museum there was a wonderful source of information, mainly concerning Matthew's father John, but also for the rest of the family's history while they were in the mining industry.
If you send another 2 replies/messages, I can then send you a personal message, and would be happy to share with you the information I have.
Apart from anything else, you have given me a boost, to make time for my favourite hobby.
Hope to "talk" to you soon,
Regards, Julie
Lancashire, England: Barlow, Butterworth, Clegg,  Lord, Howarth, Morris, Peak, Pickup, Walker, Wilkinson.

Offline iferg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 May 11 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie
Thanks for your reply. I contacted Chiltern Athaneum and they have informed me of the Cock family. Shall keep you informed :)
Appreciative
Lee

Offline jellybeans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 May 11 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hi again Lee,
The Chiltern Athaenum sent us a book they compiled on Cock Research, which includes a lot of info from newspapers, birth certs, marriage certs, photos, etc. This cost $50.00. They also sent a cd with photos of some of the Cock family, their home and furniture.
While we were in Chiltern, we were lucky enough to meet the people renting the house in Barkley St, where Matthew was born, and they showed us through, letting us take photos.
My partner's father was also born in the house, so it was quite an emotional trip for him. The motel in Chiltern where we stayed, backs on to the house, Madron, named after Matthew's father's(John) birthtown.
Another great place to visit was the town of Eldorado, where John Cock was the mining manager.
Regards, Julie

Offline iferg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 May 11 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie.
What a great connection in Chiltern. With such family history recorded, I've just booked my family for a weekend(never been there). Thank-you once again. Shall "talk" soon I hope
Regards Lee :D

Offline jellybeans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 May 11 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee,
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. As we live in NSW, we based ourselves in Chiltern, and did day trips to Beechworth, Eldorado, Wangaratta, etc. A most enjoyable week away from work.
Julie :)