Author Topic: Marks on a pewter mug  (Read 19201 times)

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marks on a pewter mug
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 23:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nell, that is very interesting, I hadn't thought that it was as old as William III, but that would fit in with its probable previous owners. I will try the link and see what transpires.

I have tracked down copies of the Cotterell book David mentioned at Chichester and Crawley Libraries, so should be able to look at one of those without a special journey.

Thanks again all

Roger

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 10:16 BST (UK) »
Thw William III ale standard was in use until 1826 when it was replaced by the Imperial Standard.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 14:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks again David. It seems I may be looking for a maker RS some time before 1827?

Roger

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 20:47 BST (UK) »
The Crown + WR mark remained in use at least until 1869 when the 1699 statute was repealed.   GR and VR stamps as appropriate were also used in this period.  The 1824 Act changed measurement but not the system of marking, causing a lot of confusion; the 1835 Act exempted glass or pottery vessels from marking, allowed customers to insist on beer being measured in stamped vessels but didn't clear up the marking.  Was the British legal system ever straightforward?.

The C*H mark probably represented the verification authority - County of H (Hertfordshire/Herefordshire/Hampshire ???)

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
My understanding was that following the 1824 act the crowned WR mark was dropped when the imperial measures were introduced from around the start of 1826.  However this was not consistent because at this time the marks were still applied by the pewter makers.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 22:59 BST (UK) »
According to reference works on both weights & measures and on pub mugs etc. the 1824 Act abolished the use of the wine and ale measures and replaced them with Imperial Measurement, it did not replace the requirement of the 1699 act for measures to be stamped WR .  The 1699 Act had failed to make any provision for changing the initials with change of monarch.  This requirement was not removed until the 1869 Act, but was increasingly ignored through the 19th century with GR and VR being substituted by many makers - reverting to WR during the reign of William IV.  WR on its own cannot rule out any date before 1869.

If the mug in question is a pint one, it will hold 16 fluid ounces if was made before 1825 and 20 fluid ounces thereafter.

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 May 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Robert and David,

The mug in question holds 20 fluid ounces, so probably I should be looking at a date between 1825 and 1838. It isn't marked with it's capacity though, so I presume was intended for private rather than pub use?

Roger

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 May 09 21:43 BST (UK) »
I thought those who have kindly taken interest in this thread might like to see a picture of what it is about.

I have emailed the Pewter Society's information service and will let you all know what they have to say.

Roger

Offline satch2804

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 April 11 18:50 BST (UK) »
i also have inherited a tankard wirh WR below a crown. also has 1.QUART stamped at the lip,and what looks like a 10mm circled writing stamp with no6 in the centre, any ideas of dates ec?