Author Topic: 1802 hinxton census  (Read 2001 times)

Offline kdc650

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1802 hinxton census
« on: Wednesday 13 May 09 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your kind offer of a look up, Keith. I would be particularly interested to learn if the vicar has described any musicians or Gypsies.

yet another Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: 1802 hinxton census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 09 14:36 BST (UK) »
Keith,
So sorry, have only just spotted your query from over 10 weeks ago, but will now go and have a look to see whether I can find anything...
Very best wishes, keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 July 09 16:01 BST (UK) »
I've now had a look through it all...Plenty of fascinating observations about some of the inhabitants, but no mention of musicians or gypsies.  Have you got any family names in particular that you want me to look for instead?
Regards, keith

Offline NessaUK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 16 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith, have just stumbled across this thread and am hoping you may be able to help me with some information that may be in your census.  I'm trying to track down a Samuel Surry and Mary Reynolds who may have been living in Hinxton at the time of the 1802 census. Samuel was not born there, but him and Mary married in Hinxton in 1818 and subsequent children were born there. I'm curious as to whether their parents, or any Surry's or Reynolds were residing in Hinxton at the time, and any info you may have.  Thanks.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 September 16 09:32 BST (UK) »
NessaUK,
Just seen your message this morning and will go and have a look once I get back home after an errand!
Regards, Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 16 10:09 BST (UK) »
Right, NessaUK,
I've had a look through the 1802 now, and although I cannot find the SURRY family name there then - perhaps he came from a nearby parish - there are several REYNOLDS households, all of whom could I suppose have been related in such a small place.  And a very likely baptism date for your Mary REYNOLDS.  Here goes:
In the household of William ANDREWS,bapt. 29-12-1717 (first marriage no details, second marriage 19-09-1780 - and presumably added later: died 23-09-1803)
Elizabeth (LORD, wid) his wife
Marian LORD her daughter
Thomas REYNOLDS her natural son, bapt. 12-10-1788

One can perhaps interpret this entry as Elizabeth either marrying a REYNOLDS first, or perhaps having an illegitimate son Thomas before she married a man called LORD, and then being widowed before marrying William ANDREWS.  I think "natural son" usually infers illegitimacy.
So, this Elizabeth, I would say, was born a REYNOLDS, and may be part of an earlier generation of your family in Hinxton.

Now, in the second of two tenements, belonging to John BENSON of Whittlesford, with a garden of 2 rods and 8 and a half (poles?) were the following family:
Thomas REYNOLDS b. 24-04-1763, bapt. 24-04 1774, married 25-02-1788
Elizabeth (HUNT) his wife
William, bapt. 13-7-1788
Richard, bapt. 14-04-1790
Sarah, bapt. 25-12-1791
****Mary, bapt. 26-06-1799
Thomas HUNT, bapt. 25-11-1804
Grace REYNOLDS his mother, bapt 20-09-1730, (died 02-08-1803)

If this is indeed your Mary Reynolds she would have been 18 or 19 years old when she married Samuel Surry.  And you have two more generations of Mary's family recorded in this Census - her father Thomas, and her paternal grandmother Grace
There are some more REYNOLDS entries, and I'll put them in my next post.  This is getting quite long now...
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 September 16 10:19 BST (UK) »
NessaUK,
There's another REYNOLDS family in Hinxton in 1802:
On his own farm:
John REYNOLDS, born about 1747
Elizabeth, his mother, born about 1719, died 1810, aged above 86
Mary
Elizabeth
Thomas, born about 1756.
As you can see, there's not so much precise detail from the pen of the Reverend James Plumptre who put together this meticulous snapshot in time.  Perhaps he wasn't welcome at the farm, maybe this family didn't worship in his church.  All the info sounds a bit like hearsay.
Anyway, there's another mention of this presumably more well to do John REYNOLDS in that the large STANLEY family lived in another house, with garden that belonged to a Mr John REYNOLDS.

I hope that some of this is new to you, or at least been some sort of help in your ancestral trails!
Keith

Offline NessaUK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 September 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Thank you for the work you have done. However after some cross checking it looks like Mary is not from Hinxton after all. I found her in the 1851 census for Hinxton and she is listed as being born in Walden Essex, which is not far away. It could be that somewhere between 1797 - 1818 she moved to Hinxton. It could be that the Reynolds you have found, could be an uncle. I think I'm going to have to try and look more to find a name for her father, and cross check again against what you have found for the time.

Regards.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 September 16 12:44 BST (UK) »
O.K. NessaUK,
I hope you find the right ancestral trails for Mary REYNOLDS.  I imagine they're not that far away from the Saffron Walden/Hinxton area, as they are indeed just a few miles apart...
Regards, Keith