Author Topic: Guernsey Prison circa 1870's  (Read 3128 times)

Offline kaydoubleu27

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Guernsey Prison circa 1870's
« on: Thursday 14 May 09 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Hope someone will be able to give me some info regarding the prison on Guernsey. On the 1871 census my ancestor, Jerimiah Murphy, was listed as living in St Peters Port and his occupation was a prison warden. He was previously in the British Army, although he was born in Co Cork in Ireland. On the 1881 census he was in St Martin, Guernsey listed as retired. A few of his offspring stayed in Guernsey as far as I can tell.

Any information regarding the prison or Jerimiah would be very gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Kim
Murphy - Yorkshire (mainly Goole), Guernesy & Ireland
Ward, Broadhead, Laverack, Duckels, Skelton, Williamson, Crowther, Lambert, Clark - Yorkshire
Smart, Dalton - Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Bradley - Kent
Deamen - Wiltshire
Shave - Dorset

Offline bhfab39

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey Prison circa 1870's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 11:37 BST (UK) »
The Prison was situated in Le Marchant Street and Lefebvre St (I take it their were two Entrances)  The reason I know this is because a Jean Le Goubey was the Govenor their in 1871 (so they would have known each other very well) and this is where my Le Goubey's lived. 

I think it is now the Police Station as their seems to be a lot of Law associated people in Lefebvre street now.

Lesley

Offline floggle toggle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey Prison circa 1870's
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 August 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
The prison was indeed in Lefebvre street, it is now "the Greff" - it holds legal documents etc. and the court.
The police station is in Le Marchant Street, this was the main Island workhouse - there is still a cell there from the workhouse days, now used as a file store! - some parts of the building are said to be haunted.

The attached link might be of help in locating the 2 buildings.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=st+peter+port+guernsey+Lefebvre+street&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Lefebvre+St,+St+Peter+Port,+Guernsey+GY1+2&gl=uk&ei=7vpbTLvhGY6M0gSprYRe&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ8gEwAA

floggle toggle
Wheatley Sussex/Australia, Heasman - Tasker - Tester Sussex, Locock - Wilmington Sussex/Devon, Mankelow Kent