Author Topic: Quick family  (Read 2100 times)

Offline maraussan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quick family
« on: Thursday 14 May 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help?

My grandmother's sister emigrated to Canada in 1919.  Her name was Florence Amy Quick née Loates born 1889 in New Cross, London UK.  She married Russell Quick in 1917, Hastings, Sussex UK and they emigrated in 1919.  They had a daughter  Hilda before leaving England.  Arrival was Quebec on 20 July 1919 and the ship was the Melita.  Destination was Montreal.

Russell was born about 1893 in Tawas City Michigan and went accross the border several times in the 1920's.

This is all I know and wonder if there were other children and exactly where they were in Canada.  It would also be helpful to have death records.

I really am in the dark and would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Pat

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Quick family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 May 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

If you go to the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid site you will see Florence and Russell are buried in the Oakland Cemetery in the County of Middlesex, Ontario.

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline maraussan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 May 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, now I have the references I will get in touch with the OGS to get details. Super fast response from you.

Best wishes

Pat

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 May 09 18:18 BST (UK) »
Someone on Rootsweb has him in their tree.  The poster has not submitted anything since 2006:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi
Type "Quick Russell" born Michigan
--------
Someone else has him as well, and they have posted somewhat recently.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 May 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline avidgenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 May 09 19:44 BST (UK) »
Here are Russell's attestation papers when he joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force: Russell Clair Quick

Annette Fulford
Canadian War Brides of the First World War http://ww1warbrides.blogspot.com/ 
Barna and Kiss  - Urmenyhaza, Torontal, Hungary (now Jermenovci, Serbia)
Clark - Scarborough, Ontario, Canada and Beith, Ayrshire, Scotland
Crawford - Scarborough, Ontario, Canada and Dalry, Ayrshire, Scotland
Larway - Scarborough, Ontario, Canada and Somersetshire, England.
Kaufmann and Zengler - Zichydorf, Torontal, Hungary (now Plandiste, Serbia)
Canadian First World War Brides http://ww1warbrides.blogspot.com/

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 May 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
According to the April 17, 1930 Highland Park, Michigan census, they also had a son, Harold, age 4 years, 7/12 months.

Offline avidgenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 May 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
The passenger list was interesting. Russell was travelling as a civilian in Intermediate class so he must have been discharged in England. FYI: They were actually headed to Toronto. Here is a newspaper clipping about the arrival of the Melita in July: Melita Soldiers Bring Their Wives

They returned to Canada in 1935 according to the Border Crossing but only Russell, Florence and Hilda. There is no Harold listed.

Correction: Russell returned to Canada on the Scotian in January 1919 and was discharged. Then he returned to England later in 1919 (not sure when but he shows up in the UK Incoming passenger list database) and travelled with his family to Canada on the Melita in July.
Barna and Kiss  - Urmenyhaza, Torontal, Hungary (now Jermenovci, Serbia)
Clark - Scarborough, Ontario, Canada and Beith, Ayrshire, Scotland
Crawford - Scarborough, Ontario, Canada and Dalry, Ayrshire, Scotland
Larway - Scarborough, Ontario, Canada and Somersetshire, England.
Kaufmann and Zengler - Zichydorf, Torontal, Hungary (now Plandiste, Serbia)
Canadian First World War Brides http://ww1warbrides.blogspot.com/

Offline Quicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 July 10 00:59 BST (UK) »
Russell Quick was my grandfather's brother.  I have a lot of information about him, and a little about his wife Florrie, including the photograph posted here, which shows Russell with his brother Irwin, and their wives.
More details, and my contact email at WorldConnect where my database is VAWRQ.
Always glad to hear from Quick connections and researchers!
YORKSHIRE  Addyman Athey Beevers Bramma Burton Bywater Camm Coldwell Cowburn Gaunt Gresham Hague Hendry Hobson Jordy Machin Morritt Morton Popplewell Pyne Standring Stott Swift Tattersfield Wallace Wrathmell

SUFFOLK  Fenner Levett Sargeant

NORFOLK Shearing Shinn

DEVON Lugg Potter Purchase Trickey Walters Woodman

CORNWALL  Mark Stacey Webb

KENT  Leigh Strudwick

LONDON  Trickey Cox

ESSSEX Sale/s

PEI/ONTARIO/MICHIGAN Burgoyne Pinkham Potter Quick Webb

IRELAND Pinkham, Faulkner