Author Topic: Birth Registrations... a Rant...  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Registrations... a Rant...
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 14:15 BST (UK) »
I think there is a certain amont of irony in a culture that doesn't want to commit to putting their names on marriage licences, but worries about names on birth certificates.

I was going to have a reaction to this as its a bit close to the bone, but maybe you are right, maybe it is ironic.......

But regardless of peoples views on marriage, I would love it to be the child's right to have both their parents named on their birth certificate!

Tx

Sorry, I didn't mean that in any nasty way - I just have a knack of finding irony in quite serious subjects.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that as the law stands, when the child reaches the age of consent, they can have their certificate changed to show their father's details, because then their mother no longer has any say in the matter.

Sometimes the child wants to know his/her father when he/she grows up, and sometimes they don't, but by then it's their choice and no-one else's.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 17:54 BST (UK) »
I'm not a lawyer, but I think that as the law stands, when the child reaches the age of consent, they can have their certificate changed to show their father's details, because then their mother no longer has any say in the matter.

I don't think this can happen now but it's a good idea.  Do you think the authorities would demand proof of fatherhood such as DNA tests?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 22:42 BST (UK) »
I don't think this can happen now but it's a good idea.  Do you think the authorities would demand proof of fatherhood such as DNA tests?

I think if the father was agreeable to have his name on the certificate, there would be no problem.  No DNA proof is asked on any other certificate.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 May 09 18:25 BST (UK) »

I think if the father was agreeable to have his name on the certificate, there would be no problem.  No DNA proof is asked on any other certificate.

That's sounds fine but I read it as the child giving the father's details.  Anyone could be named under those circumstances! 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk