Author Topic: PERFITT of Ipswich  (Read 15369 times)

Offline 25selena

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Perfitt of Ipswich
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 May 09 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,

I feel honoured to have so many helpers here.  I have got a bit lost on this.  I have my fathers' birth and he was a Perfitt (stepfather adopted him to become Gurney).  I am still not convinced that we have the correct Audrey.  She was def born in 1916.  I have her death and 2nd marriage cert which would make her a 1916 birth.  She died in January 1960 age 43.  She married Nov 1953 age 37 which would both give us 1916.

My father was born in Surrey.  There are no Arthur Perfitts (Audrey's father) in Surrey if I remember.  he had died by Nov 1953.

There is a possible Arthur Perfitt who was a soldier.  was in India, Afghanistan, NWF.  maybe she was born abroad?  Will try that option.  Would a soldier become a postman (according to her marriage cert)?

This is so difficult with no info but until 4 weeks ago all I knew of my grandmother was her name was Audrey May and died when my dad was 16, so progress has been made!

Thank you for your help.  And please don't let me stop you searching more.....
Perfitt (possibly Ipswich, Suffolk/Surrey)
Druce (Bucks)
Parker Bucks)
Gurney (Redbourn, Herts)
Cotton (Manchester)
Bauser/Bausor (Manchester/Salford)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 May 09 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Selena,

We race ahead - it must take some understanding - maybe this will clarify what we have found

We have assumed May Audreys father was Arthur perfitt who married Edith Hilda Ludbrook in 1914 - and have traced both of them on census.

Then we have concentrated on Edith Hildas family . Edith hilda (who if our research turns out to be correct) would be Audrey's mother.
It seems Edith Hilda used her middle name (Hilda) as her first name. -as did your audrey.

As yet you have no definate proof of audreys y.o.b. - marriage certs required no proof of age - death certs just give the age the infomant gave on registering the death
(on my grandparents marriage cert -gran states she is 21 - granddad states he was 30 -  when in reality gran was 18 and grandfather 36.)

Audrey could have knocked a year or even 2 off her age when she had gerald - especially if his father was younger than her - and then never told the truth after that - it happens very often.

yes a soldier could become a postman after leaving the forces - but so could an asylum attendant.

Could you post the source of infomation on the Arthur perfitt in India so we can check him out.

Your father's birth was reg in Surrey SE district - but as it seems his mum was not married at the time she could have left her hometown to have the baby elswhere. She could have been working in the district - possibilities are endless.
I have one in my tree who was born in an RAF hospital in Worcetershire - was in the hospital for a couple of weeks after birth -  and never set foot in the county again for 30 years

so possibilities are endless - you just have to keep searching until one piece of information completes the jigsaw

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 May 09 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hope you don't mind Selena but I will link to your thread on Herts board for the MIC card info that Peter kindly provided.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,381392.0.html

As this Arthur was in the RAMC ( Royal Army Medical Cor) I would think his job as an Asylum attendant would certainly have been a good qualification.

I have everything crossed that we are on the right track for you. :)

Maddie

Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts

Offline 25selena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 May 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have another thread in the Herts section perfitt/Gurney help and the info was posted there.

Arthur Perfitt Private RAMC no. 82366  Indian General Service Medal and clasp for Service in Afghnaistan and the NWF
There is an address for 18 Wilberforce Street, Ipswich.

Maddie put the post there

I will keep searching - so glad its the weekend so I can spend a few hours on here searching.  Thank goodness for the internet!

I really appreciate the help.  I love finding my missing family - even if it is just names.
Selena
Druce (Bucks)
Parker Bucks)
Gurney (Redbourn, Herts)
Cotton (Manchester)

Offline 25selena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 May 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
I have to spend more time on this site fo find out how everything works!!
Druce (Bucks)
Parker Bucks)
Gurney (Redbourn, Herts)
Cotton (Manchester)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 May 09 00:38 BST (UK) »
1911 census shows at Borough Lunatic Asylum, Foxhall Rd, Ipswich, Suffolk
Arthur Perfit single 26 Asylum attendant b Ipswich
Hilda Edith Ludbrook single age 25 asylum nurse b Ipswich

St Clement's Hospital in Foxhall Road Ipswich (formerly Ipswich Borough Asylum) is still in use as a hospital for mental illnesses today.

Photographs and write up at

http://www.countyasylums.com/mentalasylums/stclements01.htm

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 May 09 00:56 BST (UK) »
Selena - you will be so pleased- i have found Audrey's 1st marriage reg!!!!!!! I must have missed it first time I looked

Sept qtr 1946
Wandsworth
Audrey M Perfitt
John R Martin-Lewis

5d 2151

now- that would be an interesting certificate to have!!!!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 16 May 09 01:15 BST (UK) »
Oh well done Suz ;D

It may even be possible to find the death of Audrey's first husband now. :o

I'm so pleased for Selena.

Now my bed is calling. :)

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts

Offline 25selena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 16 May 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
I have been chomping at the bit all day - had chickens to clean out, shuttle runs to duaghter's parties etc and all I wanted to do was get back on the tree!!

Suz - thank you so much for finding that first marriage - I keep using freebmd but have decided it is incomplete as could not find a thing.   Off to GRO site now.

Just updated my mum on this info and she says that Perfitt rings a bell.  She also says that udrey beinga  nurse sounds familiar.  My dad was put in a homewhen he was about 8 or 9 beacuse Audrey was working at a house presumably as children's nurse/nanny but my dad broke things so wasn't allowed to stay.  he ended up in a catholic home looked after by nuns.  He was very unhappy which is why he wouldn't talk about his childhood I think. 

This is so exciting!

Thank you for your help guys.

selena ;D
Druce (Bucks)
Parker Bucks)
Gurney (Redbourn, Herts)
Cotton (Manchester)