Author Topic: Alexander McDonald  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Frugal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McDonald
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 June 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Santiago,
My Alexander Mcdonald was born about 1725. I have evidence of his having at least three children Alexander, William, and Mary. I am descended from the Alexander line. There is evidence from church records that Mary was a daughter of Alexander and his wife Elspet Bain whom he married on 5 May 1747.
It is possible that this Mary McDonald married your James McDonald the parents of your Helen McDonald but I have no evidence to confirm this. Your Helen McDonald married William Murdoch o 8 Dec 1855 at Fetteresso. I'll send some more info in a private message.

Regards
Frugal

Offline Boggy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 September 11 04:33 BST (UK) »
 This is my first post on here and it's a bit of a longshot but I'm looking for some help.
 I am descended from an Alexander McDonald born 1813 in Scotland. From 1861 onwards he appears with his family in London as a customs officer. He died in London in 1883. At some point he married Isabella (maiden name unknown) but the 1891 England census records her birth as 1823 in Ross and Cromarty. I can't find a record for the death of Isabella. They had children. James Macdonald was born Scotland, the rest London:
James Fraser MacDonald (1839 - 1903)
Jane MacDonald (1856 - 1927)
Alexander MacDonald (1859 - unknown)
Colin Macdonald (1860 - unknown)
George MacDonald (1861 - unknown)
John Macdonald (1864 - unknown)

You will note the change in surname. It is McDonald but once in London they use Macdonald. I apologise if I've but this on the wrong board, but if anyone has knowledge of my relatives I should be most grateful.

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 November 11 06:16 GMT (UK) »
The Inveravon connection is intriquing.  I have a marriage record that reads:
" April 12, 1708- Alexander McDonald alias McInab parochiner [parishioner] and Katharine Stuart in Inveravon attested of her being free of scandal, declared their purpose of marriage and consigning their pledges to observe order were married May 18, 1708."

Do any of you have information on this family from an earlier date?  The couple in the marriage record may  be the parents of a prosperous farmer in Bedford township, Westchester county, New York who immigrated to the colonies in 1730.  His grave marker in Bedford reads:
"Sacred to the memory of COL LEWIS MCDONALD ESQ and Sarah his wife being a native of North Britain borne at Strathspey 1709 and departed this life 24 July 1777
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie