Author Topic: For Kris: Miners from Cornwall to Australia  (Read 1113 times)

rasher

For Kris: Miners from Cornwall to Australia
« on: Tuesday 22 February 05 05:53 GMT (UK) »
My family has a few miners that came out from mainly Cornwall, but also Staffordshire.
1) John Clark is listed on son's Birth certificate as a miner remained in Cornwall (Uny Lelaut)
2) Hosea Berriman Clark - lived in Kadina, SA, & moved to Broken Hill, NSW.
3) William Bailey - lived  & died in Kadina, SA.
4) Stephen Semmens - son of John/Mary, Moved to Broken Hill, NSW, in 1891 from Melrose, SA. & actually died from injuries, crushed hand, on the mines.
5) Joseph Thomas Smith, is from Wenesbury, Staffordshire, but came out & worked on the mines. He was killed in 1918 on the mine. Both his son & grandson (my Dad), plus 2 of my brothers followed, & worked on the mines.
Cheers

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: For Kris: Miners from Cornwall to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating isnt it. Do u wonder what they must have thought when they arrived here. I do. To come from the lush UK to the desolute conditions of the mines particularly when u r talking about the Burra Mines and Broken Hill. U would have to wonder just what they thought. What an Eye opener it must have been for them. Such harsh conditions so many tragedies so many children lost. Actually I am sure there is somebody on the forum researching Semmons from Moonta Kadina Ill have to find it and c if it connects. I helped with some SA lookups. I c some of yours were quite early arrivals in the state as well. We have some of my lot who mined in the Hill as well. My dad was born there while at the time his father was listed as a Silver Miner. Best Wishes...Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk