Author Topic: What did he leave her? (part2)COMPLETED, THANKS  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What did he leave her? (part2)COMPLETED, THANKS
« on: Saturday 16 May 09 20:14 BST (UK) »
Please may I beg further assistance from you regarding my many x g grandfather's Will?  In this excerpt, am I right in thinking he was leaving her some of his best milking cows - or am I totally off the mark?

Also, the next line might as well be in Martian for all the sense  it makes to me; but I do manage to recover myself by the time it gets to the properties!

Many thanks for all your help,
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What did he leave her? (part2)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 09 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, it is cows, lucky woman  ;D

So far I make it:

Item I give and bequeath unto the said Susan my wife five of my best milking cowes that she can or shall chose and of my Dayrie of C---[?] to dispose of as she pleaseth

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 May 09 20:32 BST (UK) »
Update:

Item I give and bequeath unto the said Susan my wife five of my best milker cowes that she can or shall chose out of my dayrie of cowes to dispose of as she pleaseth
Item I give and bequeath all that my piece of land called Coopers crofte, and my Pightell of land called Guyes Pightell in the which the said Susan my wife hath an estate alreadie . . .

I believe a Pightell or Pightle is a small paddock

Mike
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 May 09 20:41 BST (UK) »

Item I give and bequeath unto the said Susan my wife five of my best milker cowes that she can or shall chose out of my dayrie of cowes to dispose of as she pleaseth
Item I give and bequeath all that my piece of land called Coopers crofte, and my Pightell of land called Guyes Pightell in the which the said Susan my wife hath an estate alreadie in for [---?---] of her life And alsoe all those my landes both freehold and coppiehold which I of late purchased . . .

Best I can do

Mike.  :)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 May 09 21:47 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for your help Mike; so it was cows - what a fortunate woman; and even allowed to choose them for herself!

I really do appreciate the time you must have spent on this; once again, thank you so much.
Regards,
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 May 09 22:09 BST (UK) »
Is all good practice  ;)

I think the missing word may be terme (of her life)

Mike.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 May 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
I think John Pearle is being rather cautious here: in  my first post he gives his bedding, linen, woollens, brass and pewter to Susan for her life, and then to be divided between their sons.  Now she gets some freehold and copyhold land with similar constraints.  How very kind of him to let her have unencumbered cows!

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 May 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
... but then, how long does a cow last?  :D

Mike
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 May 09 23:07 BST (UK) »
well, if it was me, I'd go for 4 cows and a bull . . . milk and meat for life . . .  ;)