Author Topic: Need help in deciphering old hand writing in Wills  (Read 3606 times)

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help in deciphering old hand writing in Wills
« on: Sunday 17 May 09 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I recently bought three wills from the National Archives for my GGG Grandfathers. Only problem is that I cannot read them. I have tried re-typing the wills word by word but just get a paragrah of never ending "unknown word goes here".

As they are too big to attach here I will have to attach them one by one (on a seperate post each).  If anyone has any time at all, could you kindly please decipher the old style of handwriting for me?

Thanks,
Sandra

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Need help in deciphering old hand writing in Wills
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 May 09 11:58 BST (UK) »
The second will attached is for another Grandfather named Thomas Laugharne.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 May 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra
Here is my attempt at the beginning/preamble of the first Will:
I Thomas Laugharne Lieutenant in the Navy being in Bodily health and of sound and
(?) minde and memory and considering the perils and dangers of the Seas and other uncertainties of this Transitory Life do for avoiding controversies after my demise make publish and declare this my last Will and Testament in manner following (that is to say):

I'll have another stab at it later, but I have no doubt that someone will have posted more quite soon!

Regards,
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 May 09 19:36 BST (UK) »
A bit more of Will One:

First I commend my soul to God that gave it and my Body I commit to the Earth or Sea as it shall please God to order  And as for and concerning all my Worldly Estate I give bequeath and dispose thereof as followeth (that is to say)
to Ann Laugharne my lawful wife All wages sum and sums of money lands Tenaments, Goods Chattels and Estate whatsoever as shall be any ways due owing or belonging unto me at the time of my decease  I do give devize and bequeath the same unto the said Ann Laugharne my said Wife

Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 May 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
Right, last part of Will One:

And I do hereby nominate and appoint the said Ann Laugharne my sole Executrix of this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking all former and other Wills by me (there is something added above the line which I can't read here) at any time heretofore made  And I so ordaine and ratify these presents to stand and be for and as my only Last Will and Testament In Witness whereof to this my said Will I have set my hand and seal the twenty third day of October in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and seventy seven in the seventeenth year of the Reign of His Majesty King George
over Great Britain  Signed Thomas Laugharne
(Seal) Signed sealed published and ?_ _ _ _ in the presence of Geo Scott, Mary Scott

Regards
Greensleeves

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 May 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Greensleaves.
Thank you very much for your help, It is greatly appreciated. Hopefully someone might be able to help me with the second will also.

There is a third will but it is just over 500kb (which is the limit for attachments on this forum). If anyone is happy for me to email a copy please let me know?

Thank you again for all your help,
Have a lovely day.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 May 09 22:50 BST (UK) »
I Thomas Laugharne Lieutenant in the Navy being in Bodily health and of sound and
disposing
minde and memory and considering the perils and dangers of the Seas and other uncertainties of this Transitory Life do for avoiding controversies after my demise make publish and declare this my last Will and Testament in manner following (that is to say):

Regards,
Greensleeves
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 May 09 22:52 BST (UK) »
Also the bit in will one above the line

first word is
Testaments

The last part is
Signed sealed published and declared in the presence of Geo Scott, Mary Scott
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 May 09 03:21 BST (UK) »
Wow, Thank you Stonechat! You have a great eye for detail :)

Would you mind helping me decipher the second will that I had attached? (Only if you can and want to)?