Author Topic: Need help in deciphering old hand writing in Wills  (Read 3605 times)

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help in deciphering old hand writing in Wills
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 May 09 03:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Greensleaves,

In will one you have deciphered for me up to the bit where it states "This will". Is this paragrah also part of the will? I can somewhat read the first line where it states "This will was proved at London"... If I am right i think that this is what it says? I was wondering if you could also help me decipther this also?

Does this mean that when he died they "proved" the will? Sorry, I am not exactly sure what this means?

Confused :)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 May 09 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
The probate clause reads as follows

This will was proved in London the tenth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred an ninety seven before the Right Honorable Sir William Wynn Doctor of Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the Oath of Ann Laugharne widow the relict of the deceased the sole Executrix named in the said Will to whom administration was granted of all and singular the goods chattels and credits of the said deceased having be first sworn (by Commission duly to administer

MOst of the PCC wills are in this hand - secretary hand - it's nowhere near as bad as you think
compare the transcription to the will and you'll start to get it
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 May 09 06:55 BST (UK) »
The second will reads

I Thomas Laugharne of the town of Laugharne in the County of Carmarthen being weak in body but being of a sound and disposeing mind and memory do make this my last will and Testament in manner following first and principally I resign my precious soul in the hands of the Creator hoping for mercy and remission of my sins though the allsufficient merits of my Lord and saviour Jesus Christ and my body I will have interred at the discretion of my Executrix hereafter mentioned and as for the wordly things that I am possessed of I give and bequeath them in manner following that is to say I give and bequeath unto my brother William Laugharne the sume of one and twenty shillings and unto my Nephews Thomas and John Laugharne and to my Neices Elizabeth Ravenscroft and Anne Laugharne the like sume of one and twenty shillings each in order to buy themselves Rings and for the rest and residue of all my Credits Goods and Chattles whatsoever and wheresoever I give and bequeath them to my entirely beloved sister Ann Laugharne whom I do hereby constitute and appoint sole Executrix of this my last Will and Testament in witness whereof I have hereunto put my hand and seal this 30th day of March in the year of our Lord God one thousand seven hundred and thirty Tho Laugharne signed sealed and delivered in the presence of Thos Philips the mark of Jane Lewis

Probatum fuit hujusmodi Testamentum apud London coram venerabili et Egregio viro Johanne Bettesworth Legum Doctore Curia prerogative Cantuariensis Magistro ani? Custode sire? Commisarris legitimo constitute octavo die mensis Marty anno Domini Millesimo septuigentesimo tricesimo Curamente Anna Laugharne Executricis unice in dicto Testamento nominat Cui Commissa fuit administratio omniom et singularum bonorum att jurium et Creditorum dicti defuncti de bono et fideliter administrando eadem ad sancta Dei Evangelia vigore Commissionis ut jurat
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 May 09 07:58 BST (UK) »
Dear Stonechat,

Thank you very much for your help.

Just to confirm that:
Hi
The probate clause reads as follows

This will was proved in London the tenth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred an ninety seven before the Right Honorable Sir William Wynn Doctor of Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the Oath of Ann Laugharne widow the relict of the deceased the sole Executrix named in the said Will to whom administration was granted of all and singular the goods chattels and credits of the said deceased having be first sworn (by Commission duly to administer

MOst of the PCC wills are in this hand - secretary hand - it's nowhere near as bad as you think
compare the transcription to the will and you'll start to get it
Is this from the frst will that states "This will was proved" in big letters?

And I was just wondering for the second will that you have deciphered for me if there is a way to translate the welsh? Also, what does PCC mean?

Sorry to be a pain....

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 May 09 10:43 BST (UK) »
Yes that was the first

And it's Latin not Welsh

PCC is the Prerogative Court of Canterbury

The Latin means roughly the same as the Probate Clause for the first

Bob

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 May 09 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help.

Much appreciated.

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 10:18 BST (UK) »
Ok, I have finally managed to get the third will under 500kb to attach it to this forum. Please can you help me with one last will?

Regards,
Sandra

Will for Thomas Mendus page 1

Moderator comment: image removed.