Author Topic: Owen family Llandrygarn  (Read 6778 times)

Offline kaygee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owen family Llandrygarn
« on: Sunday 17 May 09 17:04 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that my husband's gggrandfather, John Owen was born in Llandrygarn c1794, he was married to Mary (surname unknown) and they had the following children, Jane, John (who was his great grandfather), Robert, Anne, Hannah and Catherine.  John c1794 was a joiner on the 1841 census, and was on later censuses a journeyman carpenter.  Does anyone have any further knowledge of this family.  His wife was born in Trawsfynned c1795. I would really appreciate any information no matter how little. Thanks.

Offline graf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Owen family Llandrygarn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
If this family lived on Field St in Llangefni in 1841 then the mother Mary OWEN aged 86 born Trawsfynydd
and daughter Catherine GRIFFITHS aged 40 born Llangefni could be living at 154 Caellwyngryd N, Llanllechid CAE
in 1881 (ie Bethesda). RG11/5579 Folio 78 page 30.

FreeBMD lists the death of Mary OWEN aged 89 in the June Quarter of 1884 [Bangor 11b/374]

I couldn't find a marriage for John OWEN and Mary in Llandrygarn, Llangefni or Trawsfynydd in the years around 1826 but the birthplace of Jane OWEN (born Anglesey, aged 15 in 1841) could give you a clue.

There are several candidates for Mary's  baptism in the Trawsfynydd Bishops Transcripts
for  1794-1795, viz:

Apr 9th 1794 Mary daughter of Thomas Hugh and Margaret his wife
Nov 30th 1794 Mary daughter of Roger Roberts and Jane his wife
Mar 29th 1795 Mary daughter of Evan Edward and Mary his wife

Slightly outside the range, but possible if the parents delayed baptising the child
for several months is:
May 10th 1795 Mary daughter of William Owen and Mary his wife

Probably too late,   but two of your Mary OWEN's children were named Robert and Catherine
Sept 25th 1796 Mary daughter of Robert Jones and Catherine his wife

cheers,
Graff

Offline kaygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts,  I will do my best to  follow these up and, along with my other family information, may be able to match them.  It will certainly give me another line to investigate.  Again, many thanks.

Offline glen o

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
 hi my family are from llandrygarn ive searched back to 1844 and would like to search futher, the family name is owen and i  just wondered if theres any connection between our families.
Thanks Glenys Owen
owen and  williams   anglesey          brooks lancs  sporston cheshire

Offline kaygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenys,  could you give me some names and dates of birth for your family and I'll check with mine to see if there is any connection, thanks
Kathryn

Offline glen o

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 14:34 BST (UK) »
hi kay dates are william 1844/mary 1844/ children mary /william / edward / cathrine/ ellen /robertwho was my taid he was born at gwyndy mawr llandrygarn 1888 edward and william died age 11 and 8  . mary his wife was from amwlch. dont know her maiden name. yours glenys

Offline kaygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again Glenys, I don't think we are connected, at least not closely, the earliest ancestor I have found is a John Owen c1794 born in Llandygarn who married Mary ?  their children were Jane 1826, John 1828, Robert 1832, Anne 1834, Hannah 1836 and Catherine 1837.  John 1828 married Mary Roberts from Trawsfynned, one of their sons was Robert Morris Owen, he was my husband's grandfather born 1856. Some of the names appear to be the same as your family, but I think that was usual in those days and of course Owen is a very popular name in Wales.  Good luck with your further research. Kathryn

Offline glen o

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 16:19 BST (UK) »
hi kay thanks anyway i will keep rooting cheers glen

Offline glsalw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 March 10 14:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for details of Ann Owen (b. 1832 in Gaerwen d. 1910 in Holyhead) and her husband William Rowlands (b.1834 Llandrygarn d. 1907 in Holyhead - ex. stoker on a  steam ship) . 

William originates from Gwyndy Bach I understand and his father was William (b.1796) and married to Mary (Williams ?) (b.1806) . 
Rowlands - Llandreugan and Holyhead, Anglesey
Owen - Gaerwen, Anglesey
Williams - Holyhead
Pugh - Gloucester