Author Topic: Parish Registers mother's surname  (Read 2908 times)

Offline roscow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers mother's surname
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 05:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your information, very helpful.

Regards

Zane

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 11:37 BST (UK) »
In some non-conformist registers you can find a lot more information and in some cases even the names of the grandparents are recorded.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 11:39 BST (UK) »
David is quite correct.. ;D. some nonconformist regs are most informative- wish all regs were similarly so   :(

charlotte

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 13:26 BST (UK) »
Original records can contain extra information

Even where mother's name missing from a baptism, sometimes they give residence and / or occupation.
This may allow you to find the siblings and determine the date to look for the marriage

The way to do this when you have both names is

Say you find a baptism for Joseph Potter to THomas POtter and Hannah
Look for other baptisms (backwards and forwards from the date) Look from the date of the first baptism back to about 3 or 4 year for the marriage - this is the best period.

Sometimes you can be unlucky and there are more than one THomas Potter and Hannah - unless the PR gives a residence they can be impossible to sort out

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
In some non-conformist registers you can find a lot more information and in some cases even the names of the grandparents are recorded.

Yes I had one like there - it gave me a middle name I didn't already have and the mother's parents names

Christopher Hall Leah son of James Leah and Jane, daughter of Joseph Hall and Mary (the Mary bit is from memory)
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline FAB Fiona

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
I would agree totally with what has been said about the IGI on the internet, it is often limited; I believe though that the total transcription, if it has been done, maybe available at their local Family History Centres.  For a small fee, you can search the microfiche - although you should ask your local centre if they have it, if not, can they get it.

I am lucky that many of my ancestors were in Lancashire and the Lan-OPC (online parish clerks) are transcribing the details in full for free.  Information can vary hugely depending it seems on the interest/industriousness of the incumbent or the curate or time or space... 

Just this morning, I was searching for some baptisms to a William Yates and Ellen in Darwen within a given time frame.  3 or 4 just had "mother: Ellen", but two of them had "mother: Ellen (Shorrock)".  Bingo!  And then I found the appropriate marriage etc etc. 

Sometimes you can also get the occupation of the father, and sometimes the "abode" - which can be as little as the township and sometimes as much as the name of the cottage in a hamlet.

Even better was my find for an ancestor in 1766 Coppull:
"mother: Peggy Houghton (daughter of Edward Houghton)"
I love that curate!

Fiona
Bradbury-Gorton/Salford/Disley
Barker-Bury/Stockport/Cheadle, Staffs
Barrowclough-Salford/Sowerby
Berry-Coppull
Connolly-Hulme/Birkenhead/Ireland
Crowley, Renshaw & Steele-Manchester
De Rome-Salford/London
Godson-Gorton/Salford/Stafford