Author Topic: Cassells, Cassels Cassen  (Read 15437 times)

Offline Shaun1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cassells, Cassels Cassen
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 22:18 BST (UK) »
My name is Paul Cassells, my dads Shaun he was born in springfield in XXXX, springfield is an area near cappincur which is roughly three miles outside of tullamore.
His dads name was Patrick who died in 1966, Patricks wifes name was Catherine who was born somewhere in Ireland in around 1890 this would possiably fit in with the Patrick Cassells you have mentioned on your post. I believe that my grandad Patrick Cassells was a jockey and had spent sometime in the UK before returing to Ireland in the late 1930's my name is spelt with a double L at the end but i believe other families have spelt it differently over the years. Hope this is of some help to you.

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living person in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline karolde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 July 09 15:50 BST (UK) »
Paul,

You mention that your grandparents are Patrick and Catherine Cassells from the Springield area and that their son was Sean.  Here's what I have:

Patrick Cassels was born 9 September 1887 at Clonmor.  His parents were Peter and Eliza Cassels (nee Lacy).  Eliza registered the birth. 

Patrick Cassels married Catherine Gorman on 27 April 1926 at Tullamore.  At the time, Patrick was residing in Springfield.  His occupation was labourer.  Catherine was the daughter of John Gorman, a labourer.  The witnesses to the marriage were Joseph Brophy and Elizabeth Brophy.

Patrick and Catherine Cassels had a son named John, who was also called Sean.  I don't think there were any other children, but maybe you know differently.  John was born at New Row, Edenderry, Co. Roscommonand.  As far as I know, Sean and his wife had two sons.  Then again, you may be able to correct me on that.  :-)

You thought your grandfather was a jockey.  On his son's birth certificate, Patrick's occupation is listed as groom.  That gets him close to horses awyway.  :-)

What I didn't have was Patrick's death record.  Thank you for supplying the year.  Do you know where he died?

Your grandfather was one of eight children.  I'd be happy to share more information with you.  You might want to email me.

Karol

Offline Shaun1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 July 09 13:00 BST (UK) »
 I know shaun was the only son of patrick and catherine cassells.
 shaun did have two sons ,of which Iam the eldest.
 the family did spend some time in edenderry ,which is in CO.Offaly just
 over 20 miles from tullamore.
 where do you fit into the family history.

regards. PAUL.