Author Topic: spooky coincidence?  (Read 8576 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
spooky coincidence?
« on: Tuesday 19 May 09 07:56 BST (UK) »
For many years I have been searching for the family of my 3xg-grandfather John Jarman, who came to a sticky end in Leicester gaol in 1881. I know his father's name was Job Jarman from Clipston Northants, who at some time moved to Leicester. But there the trail stops even though you'd think the name Job Jarman is pretty unusual.

Yesterday I was walking through the Richmond and East Sheen cemetery, wondering why none of my ancestors ever left gravestones full of the family details of some of those in the graveyard when the memorial below (which was bigger than anything else around) caught my eye.  Another Job Jarman - even though it's in the other end of the country!!

Now is this pure coincidence (did all Mrs Jarmans, looking at their newborn sons think Job would be a cute name?) or could I have found a part of my family that's respectable and affluent? And am I being silly getting so excited about what is probably nothing to do with my tree? 
Lesley

Offline williamscdr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: spooky coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 08:01 BST (UK) »
Morning Lesleyhannah

As an indicator these are the Job Jarman's that married around that time:

Marriages Sep 1850   
JARMAN  Job    Martins St  1 156   

Marriages Dec 1859
Jarman  Job     Mt. Harbro'  7a 85   

Marriages Dec 1864
Jarman  Job     St.Geo.Han.Sq  1a 537   

Marriages Jun 1873
Jarman  Job     Northampton  3b 156

So there were a few, could the last one be yours?

Reagrds

David

Offline williamscdr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 08:05 BST (UK) »

These are the deaths, is the one in red likely to be your 'Job':

Deaths Mar 1854   
Jarman  Job    Mt. Harbro'  7a 11   

Deaths Mar 1856   
Jarman  Job     St James  1a 2_4   

Deaths Dec 1861 
Jarman  Job     Leicester  7a 94   

Deaths Mar 1878   
JARMAN  Job  45  Mt.Harbro  7a 16a   

Deaths Jun 1893   
Jarman  Job  54  Thanet  2a 534

Offline williamscdr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 08:16 BST (UK) »
Lesley

You probably have this:

John Jarman's Christening on the 29th June 1837 at Clipston in Northampton.
from IGI Batch number I006311

Is there a particular direction you want us to go or any census's information you are lacking?

Regards

David  :)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

The 1861 death in Leicester gaol is mine. I do have the 1873 marriage, but can't find any link with my family. However, I've always assumed the Jobs in Northants, Leicester and Market Harbro' are all connected, although I haven't been able to make this link myself.

The two references you give to southern Jarmans may be connected to the memorial stone. I may try to find this family in the censuses and see if it leads back to Northants. After all these years any straw is worth clutching!

It just came as a real shock seeing the name when I was least expecting it!

Thank you for your help.
Lesley

Offline williamscdr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 08:22 BST (UK) »
Lesley

I think it would be worth typing out all the information you have and posting it; someone will probably be able to find a thread to pull or a lead to follow.  No harm in trying - unless you have done so previously  ;D

David

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Dave

I think I've exhausted all the Northants links. Some years ago I did pay a researcher in the area, but haven't been able to find the family that Job sprang from.

There are several 'possibles' but no way of proving them. I have bought a number of BMDs that may or may not be connected - and I really need am 1831 census to take it one step back (I suppose lots of us are in this situation!) I'd more or less given up with this line, but now I think I'll have a look at where these 'posh' Jarmans originated.

Probably won't lead anywhere, but sometimes you knock down a brick wall when you least expect it!

Lesley

Offline Marion_C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley  :)

Did you notice the death date of the Job Jarman who is buried in Richmond & Sheen Cemetery?

Are you and he connected to the family of Job Jarman, elastic weaver in Leicester, whose son Job was a 22 year old architect in 1901?   

I also found this about Wrenne Jarman, a poet who was the daughter of a Richmond builder.  Wrenne died in the 50s aged 42, so she could easily have been the daughter of an architect/builder? who was 22 in 1901. 

http://freepages.pavilion.net/tartarus/wrenne.html

Sorry if what I've posted is teach your grandmother to suck eggs stuff and/or completely daft, I'm in a bit of a rush but I can't resist cemetery coincidences (I had a particularly fortuitous one of my own last year!) and had to spend a few minutes Googling after I read your post. 

Marion

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 09 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Marion -  I did write quite a detailed reply to you earlier, but when I tried to attach a photo of the gravestone the whole thing disappeared! I think the picture was too big, but it's very hit and miss with me, attaching images on this site - sometimes I get it right, but mostly I don't.

So I'll try to recap what I said, and will save it before trying again to attach the photo. I found your message very interesting - tho the article on Wrenne was a bit weird, don't you think? I'll read it again later.

Your message rang a few bells - some years ago I did some research on Job Jarman, elastic weaver - having found the name in the indexes. There is a distant relationship, but I didn't follow it up. Job was the son of Isaac born c1818. Isaac was the brother of my notorious g-g-g-grandfather John Jarman. Your message prompted me to look up my old records to see if there was a link with the Richmond family.

Job the elastic maker had a son, Job the architect - and, as you guessed, he was the JOb named on the gravestone, and the father of Wrenne.

So, the goosebumps I got when I stumbled on the grave were justified - they really are related to me (albeit very distantly). Seems like the family split two ways - one branch created architects, poets and painters; the other attempted murderers and suicides. Guess I was on the more interesting, if less reputable side!

But I am grateful to you. You did prompt me to look at that branch again - and find the gravestone at the 'wrong' end of the country really was part of my family.

Now I know I have 'southern' connections I'm going to look into the death Dave found:
Mar 1856   
Jarman  Job     St James  1a 2_4   

If I can find the correct reference I'd be really excited if I found this JOb was one of mine too! So thanks to Dave for that.

Now I'm going to copy this before attempting to put the photo on the site./

Regards
Lesley