Author Topic: Esther Lindsay (Linsey or Lindsey) of Newlands By Keswick  (Read 3175 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Esther Lindsay (Linsey or Lindsey) of Newlands By Keswick
« on: Tuesday 19 May 09 14:06 BST (UK) »
Please could someone look up the baptism/burial records for Newlands By Keswick & Crosthwaite.
I am looking for anymore information on Esther Lindsay (could be Lindsey or Linsey) to try & establish her Father & Mother or other siblings.
Esther was christened at Newlands By Keswick according to IGI records 21 Jan 1798, her father Robert & mother Ann.
Esther married Joseph Pattinson of Patterdale 7 Nov 1818 at Crosthwaite.  They are well documented after that & I have all the information on their families.
Esther could well be linked to Charles Lindsay & Dinah Vickers - possibly a niece !!!
Perhaps the burial/baptism records could give me a lead to any other brothers or sisters she may have had or even a maiden name for her mother Ann.
Seem to have hit a proverbial brick-wall on this.

Thank You.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Lindsay (Linsey or Lindsey) of Newlands By Keswick
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 June 14 15:23 BST (UK) »
I came across this post while checking up the Martha Lindsay (c.1786-23 Apr 1857) who married Joseph Coates at Crosthwaite in 1809. I believe Martha was born at Minnigaff, Kirkcudbrightshire, to Robert Lindsay and Agnes Hughes. She appeared to have a sister Jane (c.1782-1858) who married John Litt, having a daughter ESTHER in 1808. This Esther married a George Coates, but I don't know if he was related to Joseph, as he was from the Red Lion Inn, Grasmere.

Robert & Agnes had daughters Jean (1782), Hannah (1784), Martha (1786) and Agnes (1789) at Minnigaff. A Robert Lindsay was buried at Crosthwaite 7 Jan 1817, as was a daughter of Robert & Ann in 1814.

Stephen

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 June 14 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

I never did get any further forward with this brick wall.  I did look at the Litt and Coates lines which you mention. You may also have come across some entries on Rootsweb World Connect showing the people you mention but with parents of Charles Lindsay and Margaret Johnstone   ???

http://www.rootschat.com/links/016p0/

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 June 14 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Charles and Margaret seem to be the only Lindsays from that area that anyone is interested in. I've noticed info put on Familysearch, saying Margaret was born at Braithwaite in 1762, but I think they were both born north of the border.

There is a Rootweb page with baptisms for Minnigaff, plus some nearby parishes. The Robert recorded there seemed to have a brother John (wife Jean McClellan), as they lived in the same mining village, and both had daughters named Jean in 1782. Robert is not mentioned after 1789. John also had a son named CHARLES in 1792.

Cheers,
Stephen

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 June 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
I should have mentioned that the Litts lived at a place called Gutherscale, which is usually said to be at Newlands. Esther was born there in 1808; if Jane Lindsay was there in 1801, then that is only 3 years after the 1798 baptism of Esther Lindsay. They seem to have been in the same area at the same time.

Stephen

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 June 14 17:15 BST (UK) »
I did wonder if Robert Lindsay may have been a brother of Charles Lindsay (of Thornthwaite)  ???
You would think there must be a connection to all these Lindsay's in the area.
Ideally need a death for Agnes (nee Hughes) and a marriage of a Robert to Ann  ::)

Sandra   

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 June 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
I agree Robert and Charles were probably brothers. They both appeared round the same time. It would help if we could the marriage of Charles to Margaret Johnstone, but it doesn't seem to be online anywhere, same with Robert and John in Minnigaff. There was also an Adam Lindsay in Minnigaff - he married at Inch, Wigtownshire.

The only death I can find for an Ann/Agnes is the one in 1838 (Ann Lindsey).

Stephen