Author Topic: Thomas BARWELL  (Read 14017 times)

Offline Lynnee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas BARWELL
« on: Wednesday 20 May 09 04:47 BST (UK) »
I am searching for information, if possible about my great xxx grandfather
Thomas William BARNWELL.
Birth about 1836 Offaly Ireland
1859 marriage certificate states birth Offaly, Ireland, parents Thomas BARNWELL and Margaret WHITE
William BARNWELL (son’s birth certificate) has Thomas’ age 29 born Kings Co, Ireland
Arrival in Australia (not yet confirmed) somewhere before his marriage to Mary NOWLAN in April 1859 Sydney, Australia.
I am am wondering if the Thomas Barnwell listed in Griffiths Valuation is any relation.
Griffiths Valuation 1847-1864 Valuation of Tenements, August 1854 Parish of Birr Town of Cree, lists James BARNWELL  and Thomas BARNWELL.
Thanks
Lynnee

Offline BDooley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas BARWELL
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi- not sure if its the same Thomas Barnwell you're looking for, but my gggrandfather was Thomas Barnwell, originally from Cree. cant remember the exact dates, but he died sometime in the early 1900s, and is buried at Seir Kierans church in Clareen. He was a wheelwright. hope this helps, let me know if i can help you with anything else

good luck

Brian

Offline Lynnee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian, it is possible that we have a connection. Are you in Irealnd?
I would love to know more details about your Thomas Barnwell.
Love
Lynne

Offline BDooley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne- i'm actually an american but have been living in London for the past 11 years. have been going back and forth to ireland a lot over the past 20 years or so. may be going over christmas to see my great uncle (Thomas's grandson), who just turned 99! my barnwell connection is through my grandfather, whose mother was Thomas's daughter. Thomas was supposedly a lovely man, adored by his grandkids- he was known as Gowery Barnwell, dunno why. He had a son John (Jack) who was a hero in WWI. after the war he bought an old manor house in Wexford- Kilmannock House, which they farmed but i think it was sold a few years ago. beautiful old place. i saw some of the Barnwells a few years ago at a funeral in Birr, think they are very much into horse racing and training, ones a racing vet i think.

I had heard there was a Barnwell connection in Australia, but hadn't any details. my cousin's hus band in Dublin has done a lot of genealogy research on various lines of ours, will try to see if i can get the barnwell line sent.

hope this helps

Brian

Offline birr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 January 10 19:42 GMT (UK) »
My name is Flan Barnwell & I was born in Cree in Birr in 1949. I met Major John Barnwell in the late '70's when he visited Birr. My Grandfather was also John Barnwell & he died in 1947. My father was Tom Barnwell & he died in 1949 aged 42. I was born twelve days after my father died. My late Mother was left with six young children and she had to sell the farm in 1955 and we moved into Birr town.
I understand the name Gowery was a nickname as a result of him having a goatee beard. The Irish (Gaelic) for a goat is Gabhair and is pronounced Gower, hence Gowery. I got this information from Michael Loughnane in Whiteford (near Crinkle) at the funeral of May Quegan about two or three years ago. My Grandfather married Theresa Quegan. There is a large contingent of Quegans in Australia, although they spell the name Quigan. I have tried to find the Barnwell graves in Seir Kieran's but so far to no avail

Offline BDooley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 February 10 12:56 GMT (UK) »
hi Flan-

thx for the information on the meaning of "gowery." here's a couple photos of his grave. you might be able to find it from the one that shows a bit of the old wall

http://www.flickr.com/photos/odonovan/4181706293/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/odonovan/4181706041/in/photostream/

all the best,

Brian Dooley

Offline Kiwijohn007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 December 10 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am hoping you all still read this thread.

I am looking for information on Tom Barnwell also. Tom was born 1949 the son of John Barnwell and Teresa Barnwell (nee Quegan) om married Catherine and they had the following children: Tom, Terry, John, Flannan, Mary, Gabrielle.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
John

Offline Kiwijohn007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 December 10 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry all,

Tom died in 1949, his father John Barnwell died in 1947 and his mother Teressa died 1930.

My apologies for the mistake.

Thanks
John

Offline Loogie14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BARNEWELL
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 July 11 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi! Im looking on information on an Elizabeth Barnewell who married Patrick Doyle in Taghmon in Wexford in August 1911. They moved to Horetown Wexford after marrying. She was born on 17th April 1888. Her parents were James Barnewell and Mary Hayes who had an address at Rednoor or Redmoor Wexford at the time of her Birth, which was registered in Bannow Wexford. However i cannot seem to locate the family in the 1901 or 1911 censuses.  I did locate who i believe to be Elizabeth (Lizzie) on the 1911 census in Raheen, Ballymitty, wexford. Note she also listed as Eliza on my late Grandfathers Birth certificate. She died on 30th december 1933 aged 46. I too came accross Major John Barnwell of Kilmannock House, who bears a striking resembelence to my late Grandfather.  However, this may be just a coincidence! If anyone knows information on Elizabeth Barnewell it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!