Author Topic: Change of name Trevor HOBBINS >HAMMERTON  (Read 2636 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Change of name Trevor HOBBINS >HAMMERTON
« on: Wednesday 20 May 09 14:23 BST (UK) »
My mother's late cousin was born 1916 as Trevor Hobbins. I don't know when his father William Hobbins died, but his mother Sarah  'Sadie' Hobbins nee Aldous remarried in 1920 to Joe Hammerton.

As Trevor was always known as Hammerton, would there be a record of change of name somewhere

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Change of name Trevor HOBBINS >HAMMERTON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 14:34 BST (UK) »
In law a person can change his or her name simply by using a different name with sufficient consistency to become generally known by that name, as long as it is not for fraudulent purposes. A change can begiven formal publicity, e.g. by means of a statutory declaration, deed poll, or newspaper advertisement, but this is not legally necessary.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucioanna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 August 10 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob, I've just been googling my Aunties husband Joe Hammerton and came across your message on Roots Chat.  Do you have anymore information on the relationship of Joe Hammerton.  I know that he met my Auntie Ellen Merry and then in 1957 they got married but Joe died 8 years later.  It looks to me as though Sadie was Joes wife before he married my Auntie.  My Auntie lost her 1st husband in 1943 in the war.  If I am on the right track could we communicate and try and sort it all out?  I would love to know the whole story.

Kind regards
Ann
WELDON  Castletown-Kilpatrick.  NETTLETON St Martin in the fields London.  CASEMENT I.O.M.    DELANEY Cork.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 August 10 10:12 BST (UK) »
My mum may know something - though she's 90 now and it was a long time ago.

However  - this may not be absolutely certain but I have this: -

Sadie's real name was Sarah

Joe born abt 1891
Sarah Aldous b Sep quarter 1877 at Penistone to William Aldous and Ann nee Lee
Sarah Married
1 William Hobbins on 16.12.1903 at Kearsley St Stephen, Farnworth
Don't know when William died
2 Joe Hammerton Jan quarter 1920 in Holborn district

I do know that Sadie (Sarah ) died in Jul quarter 1957 in Ealing district

I thought that Joe died in Ealing district in Jul 1955 - but could be someone else

Joe and Sadie had no children of their own
William and Sadie had three children
Muriel b 1907 died 1916
Vera b 1911 died 1913
Trevor b 1916 died 1985 known as Trevor Hammerton

Sadie was by allaccounts an interesting character
When My granparents moved south, the family stayed with her for a while - my aunt was born in the area and named Sadie

Sadie held seances adn the spiritualist church in the Chiswick area
I think mum said joe was manager of a shoe shop

Will let you know if I find anything else

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire

Offline lucioanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 August 10 17:31 BST (UK) »
I'm pefectly willing to keep an open mind through passed experiences, but in this case I'm convinced that we are both researching the same man Joseph (Joe) Hammerton.  So what I know is as follows:  30/10/1957 my fathers's sister Ellen Weldon married Joseph (Joe) Hammerton aged 59 Widower, Company Director of 91, Boston Gardens, Boston Manor Rd, Brentford, Father - William Hammerton (Deceased Police Inspector).     I've been trying  to find my cousins, so I am exploring every avenue possible including finding possible connections through Joe Hammerton.  It could be that Joe with all good intentions took Trevor into his family and Trevor became Hammerton (I could be wrong.)   I also discovered  (wading through Ancestry.com) that Trevor had married Jean P. Lacy and they had 2 Children Martin P Hammerton and Lynda C Hammerton.

I had already noticed that William Hobbins had married Sarah Aldous 1903 and that she had then married Joe in 1920.
By the way if you look up Joseph Hammerton's Birth he is registered as 'Joe'.

WELDON  Castletown-Kilpatrick.  NETTLETON St Martin in the fields London.  CASEMENT I.O.M.    DELANEY Cork.

Offline lucioanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 August 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
You know this is really weird but my Grandmother on my mother's side used to do seances and read cards, she was  really into all that and she lived in Chiswick.  There is probably no connection just a mere coincidence because back in the 50' and 60's spiritualism was very popular.

Ann

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 August 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
in my researching I discovered  (wading through Ancestry.com) that he had married Jean P. Lacy and they had 2 Children Martin P Hammerton and Lynda C

I did hear that Trevor and Jean had a child (son?) who died

I don't think they had any children  who lived
If my memory is correct they lived in the Littleton end of Shepperton near the Watersplash

Bob

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 December 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have been revisiting this lately

I recently discovered that Sarah "Sadie" married Joe again !! in 1940!!
Not seen this before
I haven't ordered that second certificate

I do have a  copy of the first marriage between Sadie and Joe
17.1.1920 at Holborn Register Office
Both address at 6 Bond Street Clerkenwell
Joes father given as William Hammerton Police Pensioner

If you are still around what do you think