Author Topic: Pennsylvania 1890 train accident?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Pennsylvania 1890 train accident?
« on: Wednesday 20 May 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
William J. KNOX died 21 Aug.1890 at Reading, Penn. He was a porter and cause of death is 'killed on P+RRR" (which I take to be Pennsylvania & Reading Railroad?). He was born c1872 in Pennsylvania, son of Thomas & Margaret J. Knox who lived in Philadelphia.
Have tried googling but can't find anything that looks promising. Can anyone find a newspaper report of his death or an accident which fits with the date and place given?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Pennsylvania 1890 train accident?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 17:17 BST (UK) »
You could try this link:
http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/BAH/DAM/railroadPRRaccidents.htm

(I briefly checked it; I believe it doesn't cover accidents prior to 1911.)

You could try writing to the Reference Librarian, and ask if there might be a newspaper report.  The accident may not have occurred on that date; he may have died days or weeks after the initial accident.
http://www.reading.lib.pa.us/

I would be interested in hearing how this turns out, if that's ok?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 17:46 BST (UK) »
Had a look through the site, Lisa, and no luck with this particular accident yet however I did find other material I'll want to go through so thanks very much for the link.

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 20:24 BST (UK) »
This may be what you are looking for however it does not mention William Knox:

Reading, PA Train Wreck, Aug 1890

A RIDE TO DEATH

Terrible Accident on a Gravity Road at Reading, Penn.

A horrible accident occurred on a recent forenoon shortly before 11 o'clock on the Mount Penn Gravity Railroad, a mountain route encircling Mount Penn, 800 feet above the city of Reading, Penn. The road was opened five months ago, and has been doing a good business ever since. The cars were taken from a point on the outskirts of the city to the top of the mountain, a distance of five miles.

On returning the cars were allowed to go down the mountain by gravity by was of another route to the point of starting. A car containing about eighteen passengers was taken from the station to the top of the mountain. On the top of the mountain there is a high stone tower where the passengers were allowed to alight to enjoy the scenery for thirty miles around. When the tower was reached the engine was detached, when the car ran away while the passengers were still on board.

The distance to the point of starting is five miles, and it is estimated that this was covered by the runaway car in about three minutes, the car attaining a fearful speed, estimated at eighty miles an hour. It remained on the track to the foot of the plane, going around all the curves, while the passengers shrieked in their freight, and several jumped off.

When the car reached the station at the foot of the plane it jumped the track and rolled down a fifty foot embankment, where it landed upside down, with the passengers imprisoned inside.

The killed were CHARLES RETTEW, aged fifty-five, conductor of the car, and EDGAR M. LEVIN, an attorney of Reading, aged about forty; MISS ROSA PFEIFFER, of Reading, and MISS HARRIET HINKLE, of Philadelphia.

The passengers were all thrown into a confused mass. There were about a dozen of the latter with broken limbs and battered heads, their clothing covered with blood.

The Cranbury Press New Jersey 1890-08-29
Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 20:30 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that article - it's certainly the right date and place so I'll keep a note of it. Since it was in a New Jersey paper perhaps the details weren't up-to-date and William Knox died of injuries received at the time.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 21:19 BST (UK) »
I've found librarians quite helpful in locating reference material.  Perhaps the library link mentioned above (my previous post) might send you in the right direction.  They might even have old newspapers.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Lisa. I will try contacting the library to see if they can help.