Author Topic: Identify pre WW1 Military Photo  (Read 2602 times)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identify pre WW1 Military Photo
« on: Thursday 21 May 09 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I have attached a photograph of my GG Grandfather which I believe is circa 1905 but certainly pre WW1. Could anyone help me to identify the regiment etc. He was born and lived in Manchester if that also helps.
I have a much better resolution photo but the size is too large to post here.

Many thanks,

Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identify pre WW1 Military Photo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 09 09:41 BST (UK) »
Paul
That looks circa Great War.Can you just crop his cap badge and enlarge and post it that should help.
He has two good conduct chevrons on his lower left arm so was presume he was a regular soldier?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 09 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Looks similar to the Royal Artillery badge. He is wearing two Good Conduct 'Badges' - the inverted stripes over his cuff. The service required to receive them varied, but I think 1905 to WW1 it meant five years good service. Each would be worth 1d a day GC pay.

The leggings are wound bottom to top, which is the infantry way. So he may not have been mounted all the time.

Ken

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 09 12:54 BST (UK) »
Agree with the cap badge, which could be for Royal Horse Artillery, Royal Field Artillery or Royal Garrison Artillery, though the last is less likely to be mounted.  The lanyard on the left shoulder also leads to RA. The shoulder title should be the key: RHA/RFA, if it can be enlarged.
The 'Leggings' are puttees.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 09 13:50 BST (UK) »
I haven't the facility at work to "fiddle" with the pic...I'll do that tonight when i get home ;)

But yes, the shoulder titles will be the key!
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 May 09 20:33 BST (UK) »
Paul
That looks circa Great War.Can you just crop his cap badge and enlarge and post it that should help.
He has two good conduct chevrons on his lower left arm so was presume he was a regular soldier?

Ady

I will try to send a high res of the cap badge and shoulder epaulettes. Yes, he was a regular soldier.

Thanks
Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 May 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Looks similar to the Royal Artillery badge. He is wearing two Good Conduct 'Badges' - the inverted stripes over his cuff. The service required to receive them varied, but I think 1905 to WW1 it meant five years good service. Each would be worth 1d a day GC pay.

The leggings are wound bottom to top, which is the infantry way. So he may not have been mounted all the time.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I remember being told as child by my gran that he was infantry and not mounted. The horse certainly looks big enough to pull a gun piece rather than a cavalry mount !

Regards
Paul

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 May 09 09:56 BST (UK) »
Paul

Ady

Done as best I can!
Regards,
Paul

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 May 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
I haven't the facility at work to "fiddle" with the pic...I'll do that tonight when i get home ;)

But yes, the shoulder titles will be the key!

Another cropped image

Regards

Paul