Author Topic: Calverts in Moyraverty  (Read 9246 times)

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Calverts in Moyraverty
« on: Friday 22 May 09 18:13 BST (UK) »
William Calvert married Isabella/Jane  McCleary  and lived in Moyraverty.  Samuel b. abt 1838, Mary Ann b. 1838, William b. 1841, and Esther b. 1849 are children. 

William died before 1864 and Isabelle/Jane is probably the widow living with James Calvert in Griffith's in 1864.  He may be a son, but this is probably James who married Margaret Calvert, dau of Robert. 

Son Samuel probably marries Martha Margaret Nesbitt and his children are Matilda, William Henry, Isabella, and Samuel in the  1860's and who all die young.  Also George, Oliver, John, Samuel, Margaret, and Isabelle born mainly in the 1870's.

Possibly son  William married Helena/Lena Watson and had Levison (m. Corkin and lived in Legacorry), Mary Ann, Eliza Jane, William Henry (died young), and John.

Does anyone know this line or know other Calverts who were in Moyraverty?

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Calverts in Moyraverty
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Friend,

I know you have a world of records and references relating to the seagoe and Shankhill parishes.  I recently read a book/let about Bluestone Methodist church(townland of Lisnamintry or Lylo). The Calverts were prominent members of this Church. Have you any of its records?? I presume you are aware that there is a road in Bleary called Calvertstown road also.. Unsure if named after same Calverts. Also The mill known as Blackersmill at the Portadown end of the Bleary road was owned by Calverts.
I'll send you a copy of an article about a more recent Calvert from Drumnacanvey via your email addy.

Aljepeka
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline passat06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 11 15:21 GMT (UK) »
My family is the McConnell family from Tiersogue sometimes spelt Tirsogue.  Tiersogue is off the Banbridge Road at the end of Bowens Lane, on the fringe of Lurgan.
The Calvert name is familiar and appears in our family tree.
John McConnell (1834-1902) and Anne (nee George, 1836-1909), Methodists, had a daughter Annie, (born 8/05/1967) who married Thomas Calvert and they had six children.  Their names were George, Jack, Nancy, Mary, Grace and Dorothy.  Mary and Grace lived in Dublin and were married to Fred McLennan.  As I recall it Fred married his sister-in law following the death of his first wife.
Would Thomas be connected to your family?

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
The few Thomas Calverts I have heard of are from the Bleary, Co. Down area.  The Moyraverty Calverts appear connected, but I don't see any connection with Tiersogue families. 

Offline RoyCalvert

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 12 20:12 BST (UK) »
My family is the McConnell family from Tiersogue sometimes spelt Tirsogue.  Tiersogue is off the Banbridge Road at the end of Bowens Lane, on the fringe of Lurgan.
The Calvert name is familiar and appears in our family tree.
John McConnell (1834-1902) and Anne (nee George, 1836-1909), Methodists, had a daughter Annie, (born 8/05/1967) who married Thomas Calvert and they had six children.  Their names were George, Jack, Nancy, Mary, Grace and Dorothy.  Mary and Grace lived in Dublin and were married to Fred McLennan.  As I recall it Fred married his sister-in law following the death of his first wife.
Would Thomas be connected to your family?

Hi, Dorothy is my grandmother. She married Robert Ian Roy, had two sons and moved to NZ (where I am). Would you know the names of John McConnell's parents?

Many thanks.

Offline davey.h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 12 21:23 BST (UK) »
hi kat hat about yeah
dont think that samuel is son of that william i think that he might be son of william calvert and isabella  as is mary they are on on the 1857 cencus in newills there is mary
27/1/1839   mary ann calvert   bleary   william calvert   isabella   19/9/1838

in moyraverty there is

William Calvert   52
Jane Calvert   50
Willaim Calvert   21
James Calvert   18
Esther Calvert   15
Jane Calvert   10

there is a marriage of esther to James Mccaig 1865 in knocknamuckly

willia

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 12 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Davey

I am not sure I am following you.  1857 census at Newmills-do you have this census or is there n 1839 marriage record? 

Is Isabelle listed elsewhere in an 1857 census as it still looks to me as if she is in Moyraverty.  "Jane" and "Isabelle" were interchangeable  names apparently in the McCleary family as the Austalian branch says "Jane" for the grandmother and we say "Isabelle".  Also James Magowan and wife Isabelle McCleary  (Isabelle McCleary Calvert's aunt) were in Moyraverty, so it would not be a strange place to move temporarily.  However, there was a widowed Isabella in Bleary living with a married James Calvert by Griffith's. 

However, James who married Margaret Calvert had parents James Calvert and Esther Glass, I gather from your records. The McCaig marriage looks right for Esther.

Offline davey.h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 April 12 17:42 BST (UK) »
wish there was a newmill scencus no what i was saying that if there was a william and isabelle that went to newmills they wouldnt be on the knocknamuckly census it is somethingwe need tobare in mind

the mary ann in 1839 was a birth entry in newmills