Author Topic: HUDSON family again  (Read 3285 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
HUDSON family again
« on: Saturday 23 May 09 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I need a bit more help with the family of Alice Hudson who was murdered by her babies father in Carlton in 1913. I still haven't found what happened to the baby Hazel Jean Hudson.

Her Dad was Richard Hudson who married Annie Carlile in Albury in 1889. He is supposed to have died in the Boer War but I cant find any records for him.

Her brother Richard Hudson was born in Tallangatta Vic in 1891 and  enlisted in WW1 as a widow.
He died at Gallipolli in 1915.

I found a marriage for Richard Hudson to Ethel Dalling in 1912, I believe his wife died in childbirth and the son survived and was raised by one of the family.

The family lived at Granya in Victoria, anything that shows up as Tallangatta is most likely them as the towns are close.

mum mum

Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: HUDSON family again
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi mum mum,

In the 1909, 1914 and 1919 Electoral Rolls I see Annie is at Granya - Home Duties

In 1903 and 1909 there is Thomas (Lab) and Mabel (Home Duties) listed at Tallangatta

No others that I can see in Granya or Tallangatta

There is a Richard HUDSON - a Lab at Mitta Mitta in 1914, also one at Lockharts Creek - a Miner. (Both places are in the Indi district - same district as Granya and Tallangatta) Neither show up again.

Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 May 09 23:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kris,

I think the labourer at Mitta was Richard junior, he made his will in favour of Mrs Jean Rhodes of Mitta so I guess he may have been living there. I must check her out today to see what I can find.
The Dad doesn't seem to have been in the Boer War so maybe the gold fever got to him and he was at Yack mining.
When the Grandson contacts my Mum again I can find out more, he might even say, Yes that was him. My Mum is handing this info on to me second hand and she is 80, sometimes I get confused which one she is talking about.

Richard juniors war records give no mention of Dad, or of him having a child, he stated he was a widower. Thats two men I know of who lost their wives in childbirth and went off to war and got killed, those poor children would never have known either parent.

Any thing else you come up with would be appreciated.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 May 09 23:55 BST (UK) »
I found a marriage for Richard Hudson to Ethel Dalling in 1912, I believe his wife died in childbirth and the son survived and was raised by one of the family. mum mum

This marriage was for a Richard Talbot HUDSON and the births [1914 & 1917] to this couple were in the western district of Victoria and his death also -

HUDSON Richard Talbot
Father Hudson Chas Fredk  Mother Louisa Ellen  JOHNSON
At Balmoral  38 years  1923  Reg#4172

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 09 00:02 BST (UK) »
Me again,
Cando has just suggested that Richards mother is the widow mentioned of his enlistment papers.

The man who asked for info is looking for John Hudson, maybe he thinks that he was the son of Richard as his surname was Hudson. [Its actually his wifes Grandfather apparently]

Richards sister Alice had a son John in 1909 who was raised by her mother, it is possibly him.

Alice was the one who was murdered in Carlton in 1913 and I was trying to find out what happened to her daughter Hazel Jean Hudson. Still haven't found her but I am trying to trace her Dads family to see if Hazel Jean was given to one of Dads brothers or something like that.

Thanks for that marriage info Cando, that rules that one out anyway.

mum mum

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 May 09 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Can someone please have a look and see if there was a marriage for John Hudson anywher near Granya, Tallangatta from about 1927 on? Do the CD's show that late, I'm not sure?
I found 20 marriages for John Hudson on Vic BDM but of course they don't show where.
mum mum

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 May 09 00:48 BST (UK) »
There are a number of RHODES at Lockhart's Creek in 1914, all listed as labourer or home duties except William
Edgar Harold
Frederick Arthur
Harry Gordon
Jean Esmay
Louise
William  occ farmer
William Albert    
In 1919 only Frederick Arthur is still at Lockhart's Creek
Jean Esme is at Red Bluff
In 1931 and 1936 there is a Jean Esme RHODES at 19 Morphett Ter,  Ascot Vale; Frederick Arthur at same address, now a confectioner.

Hope that helps!

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 May 09 01:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks
mum mum

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 May 09 01:04 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the places of marriage are not shown.

These are the only ones for a John without a 2nd given name.

HUDSON
John
WEBB Norah Liliath Mary
1926  Reg#1563

HUDSON John
WALTERS Catherine
1930  Reg#4364

HUDSON John
THORLEY Eliza
1935  Reg#1822

Some electoral roll searching may find the address of the above.

The address for Jean is in Ascot Vale on her letter requesting information about Richard's will, on his service file.

Cheers
Cando

Correct info.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk