Author Topic: certificates online - where?  (Read 4756 times)

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: certificates online - where?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
So - even better than a transcription then, but not what they told mr-aitch or me ???

Anyone told a 4th version of what they do ::)

Inconsistent is the word, I think, but the point is they WILL provide the info for £6.

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
They are a total nightmare, Akanex2- hopefully without straying too far from the topic of this thread, I'd just like to let people know abou the recent trouble I had with them. I applied online for a death certificate and nearly a week later received their standard letter saying " Sorry, no relevant births on the date you supplied". When I called them, they insisted that I had requested a birth cert, and before long I began to doubt myself! So they refused to search for a death saying it was my fault and I would have to pay another £12 for them to do anything. I spoke to the clerk and then to her manager and eventually they put me through to the customer services manager. She called me back to say- wait for it- I HAD  applied for a death cert and it was their fault.
No apology or anything. They then found four possible deaths and sent me out a letter detailing only two of them. So I had to call again and request the other two, which took another week. I have finally managed to request the certificate today, after putting in my application on 11th May and it will probably take another ten days to get it now as they send everything by second class post.

Every time you call them you are fobbed off and as you say, you get a different story from each person there. How they ever got a charter mark I just dont know...

Ok rant over, thanks guys!! ;D
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 14:26 BST (UK) »
sorry, forgot to add, you are correct, they WILL supply the info for £6 but ONLY if you have the correct page, vol and ENTRY number. The LDS indexes dont supply the ENTRY number. You can only get that from GRONI.

Liscoole
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
All I can say is they sent me 2 death certificates in March for £6 each - and I had no entry number for either.

Best option for those who can is to go there in person where you can get full certificate details with volume and page number for £3 each - but book well in advance!!

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 14:42 BST (UK) »
That's not an option for most people. And I think it is very much the luck of the draw as to whether or not you get the info you want for £6.