Author Topic: Martha Pool nee Kemp  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Pool nee Kemp
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 May 09 11:42 BST (UK) »
York is the county (in Ontario).  Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of information for us on this site, is there?  Let me do a bit more looking around.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 May 09 11:47 BST (UK) »
Perhaps what we can do is wait for someone with access to immigration records to see if Dinah and Alec are "your" folks.  There might be something helpful, if they are.

I tried one more site, and there isn't anything helpful:
http://www.ingeneas.com/
(It is a pay-per-view site)

I have to turn the computer off, but I will be back later.  Hopefully by then, someone will have helped.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 May 09 11:55 BST (UK) »
Before I leave, one more thing...
hopefully, someone can help you with this:
(Mary Jane Stier was living with Martha Stier in 1924, according to the 1924 marriage record)
Ontario, Canada Marriage, 1857-1924
Mary Jane Stier married Charles Henry Apedaile
Mother: Stier
Father: John Huerf Stice Martha Kamp Stier

Mary Jane Stier, born Mar 1897, York, Yorkshire

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 has a Mary Jane Stier, arriving Quebec

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 May 09 12:01 BST (UK) »
Someone on Ancestry has:
John Henry Stier, born about 1852, Germany
Death: 9 February 1922, York (Toronto), Ontario Canada

Arrived Quebec, 1914

Wife: Martha Kemp, born 1858, Bishop Auckland
Arrived Quebec, 1914

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 May 09 12:19 BST (UK) »
You asked about the sister who may have been known as Bessie.
Bessie is one of the pet names for Elizabeth.
Elizabeth Kemp married John Groves JFM 1883 from Free BMD Vol 9d Page 66
Elizabeth Groves born 1860 travelled from Liverpool to Quebec in 1909 from Find My Past.

Martha Kemp and John Dobb Pool married JFM 1889 from Free BMD Vol 9d Page 88

I do not see Martha and or John Dobb on Find My Past.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline Candidiasia Ibberrson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 May 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thanks for all your help in this.  This is getting more interesting by the second.

I now have info on Dinah
UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about Dinah Bowker
Name: Dinah Bowker
Birth Date: abt 1861
Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
Arrival Date: 20 Aug 1921
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage: Cherbourg
Ship Name: Olympic
Search Ship Database: View the 'Olympic' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: White Star Line
Official Number: 131346
Travelling with Alec Bowker

Did she come back and if so when?

Many thanks
Wells of Yorkshire

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 May 09 13:30 BST (UK) »
From Free BMD:
Birth Mary Jane Stier JFM 1897 Vol 9d Page 52
Death Mary Jane Stier age 35 JFM 1897 Vol 9d Page 28

From the 1901 census:
Martha and her husband John Pool, a housepainter, are living in York. No children. RG13/4445
J. Henry Stier, a widower, is living with 4 children whose ages range from 5 to 19. Mary Jane is not at home. Civil Parish York, Ecclesiastical Parish New Fulford. RG 13/4448

From the search facility of the 1911 census:
John Henry Stier is living with Martha Stier, Lilly, aged 15 and Mary Jane aged 14 in the East Riding of Yorkshire.

I looked for a marriage between Martha and John Henry but was unable to see one. I also looked for a death for John Pool but was unable to see that either.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 May 09 08:25 BST (UK) »
I think I know why Martha couldn't be found on a passenger list. At Find My Past, the outgoing passenger list has their surname spelled Steer and they are Mr. J.H. Steer, Mrs. Steer, Miss L. Steer, etc.

On the Canadian passenger list, part of her entry was cut off at the bottom of a page. The Stier family were on the Megantic which arrived in Quebec on 4 May 1914. They had two tickets (consecutively numbered) and listed on one ticket are Harriet, Lily and Mary Jane Stier and on the other ticket are Jno. Hy. Stier and then Martha's name is cut off but there is some other information still visible on the line. Here's a link to the passenger list at Library and Archives Canada:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e144/e003596392.jpg

I found John Stier's death at Ancestry. John Henry Stier, 67, died 9 Feb 1922 in Toronto, York County, Ontario. Martha was the informant but she didn't know the names of his parents. His registration says he was going to be buried at Prospect Cemetery.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Candidiasia Ibberrson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 25 May 09 08:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you all.

However I am slightly confused cause it appeared that the Man Martha married was Huribitus John Louis McGuire

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/peel1924.htm

I do not understand where and why the Steir comes in.

I am still also trying to find a death for her first husband John Dobb Pool and if there were any children,  (still working on this)

Thanks you again for everyone help in this.
Wells of Yorkshire