Author Topic: Thomas Smith BROWN, Kensington  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Keith Brown

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Smith BROWN, Kensington
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 September 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
Good evening ladies.
I was most interested to find your communications - even though they were a long time ago!
These Browns are my relatives and I still live near all the places that you mention.
I would be most interested if you got any further with your enquirys - the family lived on two adjacent farms, Higher Woodley and Capeltor and the family tree can be traced back to the 1600's.
In the early 1800's Edmund Brown left Woodley and went to Meavy to work as a blacksmith - he had 10 children and his mother in law and a servant all living in the blacksmiths shop!
The families must have kept in touch as children from Meavy would go back to Woodley and Capeltor to work as servants.
I would like to find out about Thomas - why was he born in London? Why did he go to Meavy to live with his grandparents? What happened to him?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Keith.

Offline grace selina

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Smith BROWN, Kensington
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 February 18 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keith
I have been off RootsChat for some time and have just seen your message. Thomas Smith Brown was my great grandfather (my mother's grandfather on her father's side). I believe his mother was unmarried which probably explains why he was born in Kensington (why there?) and why he was brought up by his grandparents. He eventually moved to Jersey where he married Emily Le Toury and later settled in Guernsey. He was a quarrymn. His death certificate gave him as "son of Thomas" but I have no further info. He died 26th Nov 1916.
I would welcome further details of the Brown family tree  - I have only been able to go back to mid 1700s.
I look forward to hearing.
Grace Selina (previously Selina Agnes)