Author Topic: McNeilly or Meneilly - now that is a question?  (Read 4563 times)

Offline eddiec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McNeilly or Meneilly - now that is a question?
« on: Monday 25 May 09 17:49 BST (UK) »
After a break of a few years I've tried to get back into my family tree focussing on my paternal connections with Islandmagee.

This ramble concerns may G-G-grandmother Mary McNeilly and family so if you have any info I would be grateful.

McNeilly or Meneilly - now that is a question?

Between Civil records - BMDs and census - and Church records the name changes spelling with myriad variations. (Here I refer mainly to the Church records with a few civil records.)

Several records connect Mary and husband John with James and Andrew McNeilly (particularly 1861 Census and 1881 Census listing ships in port)

When my G-G-Grandmother Mary got married in 1856 the name is spelt as "McNeilly" father James, farmer. She is recorded as living in Ballymoney.  (Marriage records of First Presbyterian, Islandmagee.)

In 1860, the records show the marriage of John "Meniely" of Ballymoney whose father is James Meniely is recorded though as "Labourer"

In the Griffiths Valuation (taken a few years later) there is only one possible match - James "Menielly" who, together with Alexander Holmes, leased over 20 acres in Mullaghboy from Viscount Dungannon. (http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml)

In 1862 the records show Susan "McNeely" father James McNeely farmer of Mulloughboy... again referring to Griffiths only one possibility.

When my g-grandfather was born in 1866 "Jinnie" McNeilly registered the birth.  Jenny was married in 1868 her name was spelt as "McNeeley" but this was recorded by the minister as she only made her mark BUT her brother Andrew who signed his own name spelt McNeilly.

Interestingly when James and Margaret both get married at the end of 1868 the name again is spelt as McNeilly with both signing their own names. Andrew again as a witness - this time for Margaret.

Andrew, because his name appears to be unique in the McNeiilly clan, is the only clear line at this point and again depending on whether he wrote his name or someoone else the name varies between McNeilly and Menielly and when his daughters baptisms were recorded "McNeely".

One thing muddies the waters though and that is the recorded marriage in 1853 of James McNeely a farmer in Mullaghboy father John McNeely, Mariner. Also at this time a Jenny McNeely is recorded as being married to John Dick.  If related they would appear to be siblings.

Another major problem is that the records from St John's were destroyed and that many of the early baptisms from both Presbyterian Churches are illegible on the microfilms.

So... if you have any connection with McNeilly or Meneilly... please post a reply :)
CONNOLLY GREGG BUSBY - Islandmagee; McCAULEY - FLEMING - Antrim; McAVOY - STEVENSON - WATT - Belfast

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Private 10576 Thomas Baird 1890 - 1916
    • View Profile
Re: McNeilly or Meneilly - now that is a question?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
Do any of your McNeillies have a connection with Rutherglen, Lanarkshire? I have a line of James McNeillies first one born circa 1785 and married to an Anne McGill, place unknown. Their son James born 1808 married a Campbell Adair in Rutherglen in 1840.They had a son James born also in 1840 in Rutherglen. Also a Thomas McNeillie and a Margaret Cowan Adair McNeillie. The Thomas and Margaret Cowan namings were from the Adair side.
Rutherglen;Baird/Adair/Ferguson/Reid
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
Glasgow;Donnelly,McSorley,Burns
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
 All;McAlonan and variants 
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat Seaforth Highlanders 1914-16.
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.
1/8th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-15
5th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-17
1st. Bat. Scots Guards 1914-15
HMS Biarritz 1915-16
K Class Submarines  K10 and K11

Offline eddiec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 09 20:08 BST (UK) »
There's no connection that I know of... sorry  :(
CONNOLLY GREGG BUSBY - Islandmagee; McCAULEY - FLEMING - Antrim; McAVOY - STEVENSON - WATT - Belfast

Offline bisjam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 16:45 BST (UK) »
I don't know I you will pick this up again as the original post wa in 2009 but I have Mcneillys and they all came from Kells. My gt grandfather moved to Belfast but somehow my grandfathers surname changed to Meneilly

Offline Indigrl0608

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 08:44 BST (UK) »
I have the name McNally in my family and was told that McNeilly, McAnally, McNealy, even McNeil could be acceptable variations of the name. I know that might just make it a tough search but maybe it will open a new a new avenue.
McNamara-Fitzpatrick, Co.Clare, New York
Mulvaney-Donohoe, Co.Cavan, New York
Ronan-Gilhooly, Western Cork,Waterford, New York
McCaffrey-McNally, Northern Ireland unknown county, New York
Griffin, Ireland, New York

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 November 13 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi eddiec,

A Connor will abstract for Andrew M'Calmont of Island-Magee made 25 March 1802 & proved 9 April 1802 lists a James M'Neilley as a son-in-law and a beneficiary of his estate. Another son-in-law & beneficiary is John Grexson (probably Greggson).

I hope this helps.

Good hunting.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline Kerry1001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 February 23 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi .. it maybe 14 years later and I hope you get this but I am related to the Andrew McNeillly you are writing about, he was my Grandmother's (Isobell McNeilly) Grandfather... I was brought up on the family farm in Mulloyghboy and my sister still lives there.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 February 23 11:43 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just adding some links for others reading-

Is this your gt gt grandfather in 1901 census?
House 19 in Mullaghboy (Islandmagee, Antrim).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Islandmagee/Mullaghboy/990154/

Mullaghboy townland
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/belfast-lower/islandmagee/island-magee/mullaghboy/

Interestingly when James and Margaret both get married at the end of 1868 the name again is spelt as McNeilly with both signing their own names. Andrew again as a witness - this time for Margaret.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11473/8217167.pdf
(both on same page)

There's this marriage - 18 March 1874 - for Andrew McNeilly to Martha Heddles at St Nicholas Wesleyan Chapel, Carrickfergus. Martha living in Ballymoney townland.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1874/11226/8115390.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/belfast-lower/islandmagee/island-magee/ballymoney/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 February 23 12:50 GMT (UK) »
eddiec,

I note you are researching Connolly & Busby. Do you have Colville in the mix?
My relationship is;

James Busby married Martha Connolly (d/o John Connolly d. 29 April 1888 aged 87) on 6 May 1854 at 2nd Presbyterian Church, Islandmagee; witnesses: Andrew Lewis & Sarah Kane. They had at least 3 children.

(1) James Busby – born – about 1856 – died – 2 April 1893
   (2) John Connolly Busby – born – 14 January 1858 – died – 2 April 1950
   (3) Elizabeth (Lizzie) Busby – born – 26 February 1864

John Connolly Busby married Isabella Colville on 20 September 1886 at Bethel House, Sydney, NSW, Australia (his 2nd marriage). They had at least 6 children.

John Connolly Busby went to Australia 12 April 1875 aboard 'Lady Down'.
Isabella arrived in Sydney, Australia from Plymouth, England aboard the S.S. Energia on 4 June 1886 bound for the home of her sister Margaret Ogilby at 35 Cumberland Street, Sydney, N.S.W.
John & family returned to the U.K. at Southampton on 18 July 1896 & he became a Postman at Island Magee.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland