Author Topic: Joining the Army under an assumed name  (Read 2971 times)

Offline christmassy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joining the Army under an assumed name
« on: Monday 25 May 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone out there can help me solve a mystery.

My great grandfather was John Owen Foy (known as Owen). According to the 1911 census he was born in Glennamaddy abt 1862. There is a family history that he joined the British Army under the assumed name of Martin Smith in order to get away from his mum but she found him and bought him out. Wouldn't that have been expensive?

He lived in Warrington after leaving Ireland, his first child was born in 1890 in Warrington and he married there too in Feb 1888.

I can find two Martin Smith's in the 1881 census, one in Wellington Barracks and one in Aldershot with the 109th Regt of Foot.

There is also a Martin Smith in the 1891 census, back in Warrington, with what looks like the correct wife and children and a female lodger with his wife's maiden name. This Martin Smith is listed as coming from Williams Town.

My questions are:
Is Williams Town very close to Glennamaddy (Glannadda in census)? If so, this might be the same man.

Why would an Irish Catholic join the British Army? Was it simply a case of a decent wage?

Why would he appear to keep the assumed name after he left the Army? In 1891 his occupation is shown as labourer so he must have left by then.

There is also a family tradition that he had at least two brothers, names unknown, who went to USA. How would I start to find that out?

Finally, I've been told that not many Irish records survive. Am I going to be stuck at getting no further back than when they arrived in England?

Any tips for a novice would be very much appreciated. Thank you. :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joining the Army under an assumed name
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
To start with I can answer a few of your questions-
Finally, I've been told that not many Irish records survive. Am I going to be stuck at getting no further back than when they arrived in England?
There are many surviving Irish records (the census records are the ones we've lost most) but to find most records you need to know where the family lived (parish if not actual townland not just the county). Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate. Therefore you'll need to search for church records (which may or may not exist).

There is also a family tradition that he had at least two brothers, names unknown, who went to USA. How would I start to find that out?
Think that to find the brothers you'll need to know there names and approx. ages and approx. when they went to U.S. before you can start checking sources like Ellis Island passenger lists, etc.

Why would an Irish Catholic join the British Army? Was it simply a case of a decent wage?
Ireland would have been British at the time and it was not unusual for a boy born in Ireland to join up and it could have been for a variety of reasons including wanting to see the world.

Why would he appear to keep the assumed name after he left the Army? In 1891 his occupation is shown as labourer so he must have left by then.
Perhaps he'd just gotten used to the name Martin Smith, preferred it to his birth name or wanted a more English-sounding name because he was living in England.

He lived in Warrington after leaving Ireland, his first child was born in 1890 in Warrington and he married there too in Feb 1888.
What's on the marriage certificate for his father's name and occupation?- this could help trace the family in Ireland or perhaps even the brothers in U.S.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 09 18:31 BST (UK) »
the closest match to Williams Town that I can see in that part of Ireland, is Williamstown, Co. Roscommon. This is quite close to Glenamaddy, Co. Galway - about 18km

link to google map : http://www.rootschat.com/links/06e8/

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline christmassy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 09 20:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for your advice.  :)

John Owen Foy's father is listed as John Foy, deceased, farm labourer.

Is Glenamaddy a parish do you know? Maybe I have a fighting chance of finding out more!

Re the brothers, I might start working from Foys who left about the same time as John Owen. Three young men all seeking their fortune in their early 20s sounds possible.

Could you guess where they might have left Ireland from? If John Owen ended up in Warrington then presumably he came into Liverpool. Maybe the other two decided not to stay there and caught another ship onwards to USA. I like the theory anyway! :)

Meantime, thank you both again. The whole 'joining the army' bit sounds more plausible now.

Cheers

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 10:13 BST (UK) »
link to map of East Galway RC - parishes :  http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/galwayerc.htm

Glenamaddy town is in the Civil and RC parish of Boyounagh

the Irish Family history Foundation (www.irish-roots.ie) appear to have transcripts for that parish - according to the sources page they have RC baptisms for 1838-1900, and marriages from 1838-1865. (They list to the parish as Glenamaddy/Boyounagh). It's a pay-site and they charge €5 to view each record

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline christmassy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane :)
That sounds really promising and I'll follow it up as soon as possible. I'd love to be able to trace the Foys even a little way back.
Thank you again,
Christmassy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 11:35 BST (UK) »
no problem..

if you ever get to visit the National Library in Dublin you can access the parish records on microfilm ref. P.4211

Shane
My Surname Interests