Author Topic: Origins of Port-glasgow Irish migrants  (Read 11269 times)

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Origins of Port-glasgow Irish migrants
« on: Tuesday 26 May 09 04:00 BST (UK) »
 Hi there

Does anyone know where the R.C  Irish migrants to Port-Glasgow  (1830-40) and Greenock came from? I have tried the local parish priest in Port-Glasgow  but there doesn't appear to be any records for the period in question.  I have been given various locations in Donegal and have already tried Moville and Inishowen, so far without much success.  Any ideas would be helpful.

Orkrad

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of Port-glasgow Irish migrants
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 08:55 BST (UK) »
Since you haven't had any luck with church records you should check all possible Scottish census records for any of the ones born in Ireland in case they gave a more exact place of birth than 'Ireland' although even with the name of a county you will have great difficult tracing them in Ireland at such an early date without an exact place (parish if not townland usually needed).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 03:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks. So far the censuses are not producing much helpful information. However  I have tried using the triangulation process which is mentioned in the Donegal hand book and I think I may have found some potential info.
Regards Orkrad.

Offline fiona kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 June 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Okrad
I have had much of the same problem as yourself regarding RC Irish Immigrants coming to Port Glasgow.  It's actually been my brick wall i've been up against for many years. And with names like Kelly & Devlin, it's been like a needle in a haystack lol. To this day I am still unsure,  although Inishowen seems the most probable in my case, if you like you could post the family names and maybe myself or other rootschat members could offer more information in helping with your search.

Kind regards
Fiona
KELLY COLLINS DEVLIN HOUSTEN MCLOUGHLIN FAULKNER<br /><br /><br /> PORT GLASGOW SCOTLAND IRELAND
McDOUGALL GREENOCK
SHERIFF PERTH & BRIDGE OF ALLAN STIRLING
SAVAGE ANTRIM

Offline Carrie-Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 12 11:54 BST (UK) »
My Irish family who migrated to Port Glasgow came from Antrim.  Ballymoney area a generation before from just outside Londonderry/Derry.  They moved prior to partition and because they had RC and protestant ancestors and believed in being part of UK.  It was flax industry and/or shipbuilding that brought them over.

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 October 12 23:44 BST (UK) »
 Hi Fiona and Carrie-Boyd

Thanks for your replies. I had almost forgotten about this post as it is a few years since  I first posted and so far have had no  luck tracing my ancestors. Fiona my apologies for not replying earlier, but I did not receive notification of your post. I think we had some hard drive problems around the time of your reply.

The names  I aam researching are Anthony TOLLAN/TOLLAND and Bridget GORMAN. They appear in the 1841 census for Port-Glasgow. Their place of origin is Ireland and occupation Canvas Hand Loom Weaver  ( Anthony) and Flax Dresser for Bridget. Their youngest child is 2 yrs old and born in Ireland . This dates their arrival  on or around 1839 if the census data is reliable.  Anthony and Bridget are around 30 yrs old. There are various family stories about their origins and I have been told Inishowen and Moville at various times . They have proved a huge challenge for a very long time.

Any help would be welcome.    Regards Orkrad

Offline Carrie-Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 October 12 12:12 BST (UK) »
May have news for you soon as my daughters friend at school is a Toland and family are definately Irish in origin so will ask her grandparents this week and fill you in with what they know.

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 October 12 19:57 BST (UK) »
 Thanks carrie-Boyd. Look forward to hearing your news.

Regards Orkrad

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 October 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see if they made any Poor Applications?

The information recorded in them should give their origins