Author Topic: will 9352  (Read 1793 times)

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
will 9352
« on: Tuesday 26 May 09 12:43 BST (UK) »
researching my grandfather william duffy private-royal dublin fusiliers num-9352 ,first theater of war france-9/2/1915 , not sure which battalion he served wht ,any1 wht any help b great ,tanks .dave,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: will 9352
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 13:04 BST (UK) »
Dave
He was discharged in 1916 to pension he was awarded Silver War Badge....There will be an entry on his Silver War Badge Roll at Kew which may give details why he was discharged(either wounds or sickness) I think he was probably a pre war regular with that number.
I cant see his pension record on ancestry...it may be there and it may have been mixed in with service records then again only 30% survive so it may be gone.
At a guess i think 2nd Battalion RDF as 1st were out in Gallipoli so there theatre of Entry usually says Balkans or Egypt
2nd Batt were In Flanders over 1915.

The SWB roll will require a visit or researcher to find the info for you.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 14:48 BST (UK) »
thanks 4 ure help,were did u find out he was discharged 1916? i tink he was wounded in the left uper arm. salonika also i tink he went 2 early 1916 after been in france, i no at least 2 of his brothers were killed durn war, but stil not sure of there names been doin alot of research on him, dave................

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave
Its written on his Medal Index Card....disch 8/8/16
If a rank was awarded the SWB (Silver War Badge) it means he would have been discharged.
Have you got a copy of the Colour Medal Index Card off Ancestry?

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 17:07 BST (UK) »
Heres the date. :)
Disc= Discharged.
Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 17:12 BST (UK) »
6th Royal Dublin Fusiliers were in Salonika over the period you have stated....cant find any other RDF in Salonika around that time.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
hi again,yes ave tha orignal medal card just never noticed the leters s.w.b and didnt no what they ment until now thank u again 4 ure help,reason im researchn my grandfather is because my uncle says at least 2 of my gfs brothers died in ww1 and were tryn 2 find them,all i no is that there duffys and from dublin ,ave tryd census but nowt yet,ave only lookd up 1911 census ,just found my gf liven wht his wife, couldnt find his brothers names, hard work,................... dave

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 09:28 BST (UK) »
Dave
Theres a database available on ancestry and at most big libraries called Soldiers Died In The Great War...It has most ranks killed/died in the Great War and lists them by Place of Birth,Enlistment and Residence or a mix of all three it was produced in 1920 with info from soldiers Next Of Kin.

Were all your Duffys Dublin born? There are 14 BORN in Dublin ..if you have any other info post it we may get there sooner. :)

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 10:49 BST (UK) »
hi,all i no at the mo is my grandfathers fathers name was thomas duffy ,my grandfather was born parish of st marys,in the 1911 census he lived in faithfull place , the problem my grandfather was maried twice so my uncles are from his 2nd marage and dont no tha names of his bros that died durn war,