Author Topic: Sutterby grave - Blackley area.... help please  (Read 6657 times)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sutterby grave - Blackley area.... help please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 16:09 BST (UK) »
Only one Sutterby burial on the burials website

10/09/1942 Percy Cecil Sutterby Southern Cemetery YChurch of England 1517 
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Lockzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for all your replies
Percy Cecil Sutterby is one of the sons of Charles and Ann Sutterby (nee Humphreys) I have got his burial record
Funily enough, the night before posting here I was reading about Cheetham Hill Weslyan Cemetery and thinking how awful that was for all the families involved, and now I may have family bured there.

I have emailed ops.cemeteries@manchester.gov.uk, cemeteries@salforddiocese.org with no records and also Manchester Archives and Local Studies who have checked St Peter, Blackley, for Ann Sutterby's burial without success.
Last year I went to the area and found some family in St Mary's Nuttal Road?? This was from a different line. I also went to a couple of very overgrown churchyards, one being up a small road with a few modern houses in a close. I will need to dig my records out, but could I find any Sutterby's........ No!
Well have have had a few problems like this and suddenly they have appeared after years of searching so my fingers are crossed. Some ended up at Christ Church Harpurhey and they lived at Herbert Street too.

Thanks again for all the help

Regards
Amanda

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda

You need to ask them to look at the burial register for the wesleyan graveyard in Cheetham Hill

They hold the fiche - well according to there website

Burial registers

Methodist churches rarely had their own burial ground, but there are a few examples of Methodist burial grounds in Manchester. The following are the more significant ones:
•Cheetham Hill Wesleyan Cemetery. The burial ground to the original Cheetham Hill Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. The burial ground was later extended and the site regarded as a cemetery rather than a chapel. It was used for burials 1815-1968 and we have records for that period available to see on microfilm.
•Irwell Street Chapel, Salford. Used for burials 1829-1857 and we have burial registers for that period (M196/5).
•Great Bridgewater Street Chapel, Manchester. Used for burials 1800-1854 and records of the burials are on microfilm MFPR 225 or 277. The chapel and graveyard removed for construction of Central Station. Transcripts of monumental inscriptions made in 1895 are in the archive (accession 2003/10).
•Withington Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. A small burial ground also known as Old Moat Lane Burial Ground. There are a few monumental inscriptions 1835-1874 on microfilm MFPR 1975

St Marys is a nice little church with a few stones still standing, I presume you took a camera  :)

Christ Church is just a large church in the middle of a grass field, all stones have been removed.

Good Hunting
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 May 09 22:22 BST (UK) »
Lockzie

I have been looking through the Gale newspapers in the hope I might find an orbit for Ann Sutterby.Unfortunatly I didn’t find one because there were not many papers for the 1880s, there was 179 references for Sutterby from around 1802 different counties around England (Norfolk, Manchester, Hull) I know these probably have no connection but as they were there on the walk through I thought I would take them. In case anyone else is looking for any Sutterby’s

Hull newspaper (Hull England September 25th 1868
 Deaths. Sutterby suddenly in Hull age 62
Nixon Sutterby Landlord of the black horse in Witham

Newcastle times Friday April 17th 1874   
  Deaths. Sarah Sutterby age 50 on the 12th Nunwick

Manchester Times Friday May 25th 1894
Deaths Fairweather.On the 19th at 9 Henrietta street old Trafford
Eleanor Sutterby wife of Robert H fairweather (no age given)

Liverpool Mercury Tuesday August 25th 1896
Marriage. Sutterby & Wilkinson August 22nd at St Marys church Liscard
Herbert sutterby to Emily eldest daughter of Thomas Wilkinson of Liscard. No Cards

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Lockzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 May 09 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Celia

Thank you ever so much for looking for The Sutterby's for me. Originally, the Sutterby's were from Norfolk, the Foulden / Diddlington areas, they moved to Westminster, then to Stafford, Lytham and Lancashire.

It is really frustrating not knowing where they ended up, only my Gran, who is 96 had the knowledge but can no longer remember  :(

Anyway, thanks again and thankyou to Ken for your replies as well

Best wishes
Amanda

Offline Lockzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 June 09 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Just to let you know than none of the Sutterby's were buried at Cheetham Hill Wesleyan Cemetery  :( :'( :(

Very stuck now!
Can anyone think of anything else please

Regards
Amanda

Offline lythamer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 May 13 21:27 BST (UK) »
I notice this thread is from 09 but maybe i can help. Regards John

Offline Lockzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 May 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Any help will be most welcome  :) I still have not found out where they are buried
Kind regards
Amanda

Offline lythamer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 May 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
Ok try blackley cemetary as my mothers aunt molly (mary) sutterby was as far as i know laid to rest there maybe with the rest of the family my mothers mother my grand mother was annie rose beatrice hulme nee sutterby sister to 3 brothers all who lived at both 79 and later 54 herbert st hope this helps. Regards John