Author Topic: London Heavy Rescue Service in WW2  (Read 8751 times)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
London Heavy Rescue Service in WW2
« on: Wednesday 23 February 05 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone could shed light for me on this. My Gt Grand uncle was a District Officer in the London Heavy Rescue Service but was killed during a bombing raid.

What I'd like to know is anything about the London Heavy Rescue Service. What it actually did and what duties a District Officer would do, also where, if availble any photos or documentation would be if it wasn't destroyed like many other valuable documents were.

Shanko
 ;D

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: London Heavy Rescue Service in WW2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shanko,
I googled London Heavy Rescue Service, there are lots of links that were interesting what about this one
http://www.holnet.org.uk/learningzone/londonatwar/airraid/p_civildefence.html
or this one
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ww2/A1285463

I think the records would most probably be held in the London Metropolitan Archives
www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/lma
your could try emailing them
ask.lma@corpoflondon.gov.uk
Good luck
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 February 05 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the URLs, I did do a search myself but only came up with other peoples family tree websites with their own ancestors being in the London Heavy Rescue Service and nothing else

Shanko
 ;D

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 February 05 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Shanko,
I thought the BBC article was really informative, it's an account of David Shelton's grandfather who lost his life during WWII serving in the London Heavy Rescue Service
In case others are interested here's a snippet -
 "At the height if the Blitz, my grandfather, Alf Wilson, was serving with his local unit of the London Heavy Rescue Service. The Service came into being as part of the Civil Defence programme, and was made up of builders, plumbers, electricians and skilled workers, who helped clear up the debris created by the German attacks. They were really builders in reverse: they helped stabilise the devastated area to allow the Light Rescue Service safe access to trapped civilians. The Heavy Rescue Service got their name from the equipment they used, heavy winching and lifting gear that was carried round in the back of an old pick-up truck; the Light rescue Service got their name from the light gear they carried round, ropes and stretchers and first-aid kits. "
He mentions in the account that  "The names of those rescue workers appeared in the St Alban's parish newsletter later that month" (those who died)
You might be able to also find information from the newspaper archives?

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk