Author Topic: 1901 or earlier census - Flegg area  (Read 9345 times)

Offline SWEBB

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 or earlier census - Flegg area
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 June 09 12:00 BST (UK) »
Lauras son Percy married my grandads sister Margaret, are you from that lineage. or from Gertie I believe was her daughter, My Nan Rosie died 4 years ago aged 95, so she lived a long time,..You must know my mum Kathleen then Rosies daughter..

Please let me know your name or your mum/dads name so I can maybe ask mum if she knows you

Sandra
Gaze,Flatman, Balls,Nichols,Graver,Gates -Norfolk

Offline linderelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 March 11 15:50 GMT (UK) »
HI
I have just read your posting on Rootschat back in 09.... I believe you are related to the Nichols from Filby. I too am researching the Nichols -
I have James Nichols b. 1856 Fleggburgh, he married Jemima Mahala Crow (I thinks she was better known as Mahala)b. Filby. They had 10 children. James, William, Harry, Eddy, Mahala, Helena Ida, Alice, Ernest, Robert and Albert. All born in Filby except Robert and Bertie.
I have recently discovered that Mahala age 49  was a Post Mistress in Filby in 1911 with 5 of her brood living in 6 rooms.

I would dearly like to find out more of the family.

Yours in anticipation
Linda Lockwood (nee Nichols)
Suffolk
Lockwood Stowmarket, Needham Market,Creeting St Mary Great Blakenham Sfk
Nichols,Rollesby, Burgh St Margaret, Gt Yarmouth & Runham Norfolk
Meadows of Barrow-on-Soar, Birmingham & Nuneaton
Moreton  of Chilvers Coton and  Nuneaton Warwickshire
Woolnough, Leiston Sfk
Whiting, Badingham Sfk
Stearn, Dennington and Laxfield  Sfk

Offline SWEBB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I will have a look at my tree and see if James appears..I still live in Filby..so any research you want just let me know..I have access to BMD's of the parish..Plus this is a good record of baptisms

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/filby.htm

Will get back to you ASAP

Sandra (filby)

Offline SWEBB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Linda

Just looked on tree, I have no James b.1856 my Nichols originate from Hemsby in the early-mid 1800s..and James coming from Flegg..I have no Nichols born Flegg..although going further back he maybe off the line somewhere..my earliest Nichols is William Nichols married 1793 to Elizabeth Cheney..

But as I said if you want any grave piccys either Filby or Flegg I would more than willingly pop up and take some piccys for you..

I know in Filby churchyard the only Nichols with stones are related to my line..The Post Office is still there but now a house ..Mahala must have been post mistress before the English family as they were there early-mid 1900s..

sandra

Offline linderelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My Nichols originated from Rollesby and kinda drifted across to Filby, Billockby, Runham and Caister.
I have visited Filby churchyard a few years back. If I remember rightly there is a cemetery across the road from the church. There is a Jacob Nichols in there with a grand headstone, just under a monkey puzzle tree.
Many thanks for your kind offer.
By the way, Mahala's maiden name was Crow, I don't know whether I mentioned that in my earlier post.
I will check out that link you posted.
Please keep in touch should you come across anyone who you might think links in.
Kind regards
Linda
Lockwood Stowmarket, Needham Market,Creeting St Mary Great Blakenham Sfk
Nichols,Rollesby, Burgh St Margaret, Gt Yarmouth & Runham Norfolk
Meadows of Barrow-on-Soar, Birmingham & Nuneaton
Moreton  of Chilvers Coton and  Nuneaton Warwickshire
Woolnough, Leiston Sfk
Whiting, Badingham Sfk
Stearn, Dennington and Laxfield  Sfk

Offline SWEBB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 13:47 GMT (UK) »
The cemetary you mentioned with one across the road  is Fleggburgh thats each side of the road..

Yeah there are still a few Crows in the village, as we organise the Over 60s Filby reunion there are about half dozen Crows who come to that..The man next door to me his g.grandmother was Martha Crowe b.1858 Filby..And she married a John Hudson and he married a Sparrow..Which I think is rather funny..

If I get any links or if you want any look up let me know..

Regards

Sandra

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 February 14 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Swebb trying to PM you but your box is full . need to ask you something on Filby  thanks Magicnanny
Wilkinson.Crowther,Tootell, Manchester ,  McEwan Scotland.  Wymer, Fuller,Hudson,Norfolk  . Cheriton Australia.