Author Topic: VALE of Herefordshire  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Bosuns Call

• RootsChat Extra
  • Grandad George on a Sunbeam
    • View Profile
VALE of Herefordshire
« on: Wednesday 27 May 09 01:48 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was a Louisa Vale born in 1875 in St. Devereux, Herefordshire who went on to marry George Henry Price and live in Letton, Herefordshire. Her dad was James Vale born in 1845 in Callow, Herefordshire. By 1861 he had moved to Grafton, Herefordshire and had become an apprentice boot and shoemaker. In 1871 he was a shoemaker in Much Dewchurch, Herefordshire. In 1881 he was a farmer and shoemaker at Criseley House Farm, Allensmore, St Devereux. In 1891 he was a shoemaker at Horse Shoe, Much Dewchurch and by 1901 he had returned to Criseley House Farm as a farmer and shoemaker but was only listed as a farmer in 1911 at the same farm.

James Vale I believe married an Elizabeth Preece but in the censuses she's referred to as 'Eliza' and she was born about 1844 also in Callow. They had 9 children but I'm only aware of the names of 6 others besides Louisa. There was Emily born about 1870, Ada born about 1873, and Elizabeth born about 1874, all in Much Dewchurch. Mary J born about 1877, Sarah Ann born about 1880 and William Vale born about 1881, all in St. Devereux along with Louisa.

James' dad, my great great granddad was a Thomas Vale born in 1819 in Much Dewchurch. Throughout his life he moved from Much Dewchurch to Callow, Grafton and then by 1891 to St. John's district of Hereford City. During this time he too was a boot and shoemaker. Thomas married an Elizabeth Price born in 1818 in St. Devereux. Besides James they had 7 other children together. There was Elizabeth born about 1847, Thomas born in 1849, Richard born about 1853, and Susan born about 1855, all born in Callow. William born about 1857, Charles born about 1860, and Henry born about 1863, all born in Grafton.

I believe but cannot confirm that Thomas' dad was a James Vail born about 1790 in Much Dewchurch. Looking in the FamilySearch records I found a James Vail who on 29 November 1810 married a Mary Athersuch at Much Dewchurch and a Mary Athersuch born about 1790, also in Much Dewchurch. I discovered a Joseph Vail born 1813, James Vail born 1816, Mary Vail born 1822, and Eliza Vaile born 1831, all born in Much Dewchurch. If these Vail's are my ancestors, with the corruption of the surname from Vail to Vale I'm also beginning to wonder if the family once originated from Scotland/Ireland and perhaps the surname had been further corrupted from McVail?

Perhaps there is a member of this forum whose family tree can confirm or dispel my family connection to James Vail and the Vail family?
Price - Herefordshire
Hyett - Herefordshire/Gloucestershire
Philpotts - Herefordshire
Ladle/Ladell - Norfolk
Vale/Vail - Herefordshire