Author Topic: MI's for Ettleton Cemetery  (Read 1745 times)

Offline hammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MI's for Ettleton Cemetery
« on: Wednesday 27 May 09 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am seeking information on the burial of John Inglis who died in Westerkirk on 7 Oct 1848.

According to the Westerkirk OPR's he was buried at Ettleton.

I believe that John was originally from Roxburghshire and that may explain why he was buried there rather than in Dumfries.

Many thanks for any help that anyone can give !!

Jen in Australia

Offline M Carter

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: MI's for Ettleton Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 09 18:19 BST (UK) »
Jen,
       There is a gravestone at Ettleton.
Erected in memory of John Inglis who died at Billholm 4th Oct 1848 aged 83 years.  Also Jane Beattie his spouse who died at Billholm 23rd Nov 1853 aged 78 years.  Jean Inglis their daughter who died at Glencartholm July 19th 1825 aged 19 years.  Also James Inglis their son who died Nov 8 1826 aged 19 years.  And Mary sister of John Inglis died at Lethem on the 14th May 1861 aged 77 years.
Hope this is the correct John Inglis
M Carter
Telfer, Mair, Andison, Elliot, Murray, Turnbull Castleton.  Riddell, Hawick.
Bell, Ewes, Langholm area.
Martin, Wilson, Elliot. Teviothead.

Offline hammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MI's for Ettleton Cemetery
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 09 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi M !!

Yes thank you so very much - that is the right one and there is the bonus of so much more information than I expected.  I was unaware of the two children who had died as young adults.

After posting the message to the board I found Jane's death record and this confirms for me that this is the family I am looking for.

Now I just have to make sure I have these people definitely linked to my ggg Grandfather who came to Australia in 1854.

Thank you so much for your time and effort.  Another place to visit in my retirement !!!

Kindest regards

Jen