Author Topic: Dublin Photographers  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin Photographers
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 June 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
The Owl Studio seems to have awoken a long buried memory. I am almost certain there was a photographers by that name when I was a child living in that area.     Bridget
Lalor/Lawlors in Co.Kilkenny
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois
Lawlors and Hennessy in Dublin

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 June 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
Anne, I have just checked my records to see what number my G. grandparents lived in the (as you say) short Mary St. They lived at number 62 so it would appear they were High(ish) numbers at that end.  Why do I keep thinking The Owl Studio was about 3/4 shops from the corner of Liffey St. ?
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois

Offline Taidquest

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 June 09 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Bridget,how are you? well if anyone would know where things were in that area it would be you.The Owl studio was just a half remembered memory of a conversation a long time ago with my mam. recently got a marriage cert' for my great grandparents though and would you believe they were married in that church facing the end of the street where you lived,they gave the address as 11 Moore street and g.grandads father Thomas Owens
occupation was a shoemaker!not sure if he was from Dublin or somewhere else at the moment.
                                               best wishes,Anne
<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 June 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne , Hope you are well.  I played with the little girl who's father was the rector/vicar of that church. I seem to recall it was Church of Ireland. That church played a  part in one of the "Recollections" stories I wrote on here. called "The dead arose and appeared to Paddy" A very old couple, Mr. and Mrs Sullivan lived in the basement of our house. They were the only folk of the Protestant faith in our street and sadly tended not to mix. My Mum looked after them in old age. The church at the end of the street, St. Mary's was where they attended.  The bells would ring out every Sunday but there was never a big attendance. It was closed for years. On a visit home it really upset me to see the church had become some sort of restaurant. However, time marches on and yet another memory bites the dust! 
P.S. My mum and dad lived in Moore Street when they first married.
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois

Offline joe90fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 June 09 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, new member trying out the site for the first time.

Trying to locate a possible Dublin Photographer c1917 L.Kavanagh 20a Aungier Street, and wondered if anyone has knowledge.
I noted in an earlier post a reference to Kavanagh in Limerick but don't know if this is linked at all?

Thanks

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 June 09 01:13 BST (UK) »
I am almost sure a member of this board put up a whole list of Dublin photographers with addresses. I just can't find it but feel sure someone will step in to help you, thay always do.  Good Luck.
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 June 09 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, new member trying out the site for the first time.

Trying to locate a possible Dublin Photographer c1917 L.Kavanagh 20a Aungier Street, and wondered if anyone has knowledge.
I noted in an earlier post a reference to Kavanagh in Limerick but don't know if this is linked at all?

Thanks
hi joe90fan,

here's the link to the Photographers that Bridget mentioned.. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,376156.0.html the dates listed are from 1863 and 1848 ... a bit early for the L. Kavanagh you mentioned.

I spotted something a little bit later that may be of interest..Thoms of 1949 lists a J. Kavanagh - draper at 20a Aungier St.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline joe90fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, thanks for the information. It may not even be Aungier Street Dublin but the fact that 20a is a valid address and the name was the same in 1940's it certainly looks good.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
eadaoin has a Thom's for 1922, and does lookups of this. It's much closer to the date you are interested in... maybe put up the details in a new post with something like 'Thom's Lookup 1922' as the subject

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests