Author Topic: REDMAN Family poss Stapleford  (Read 1630 times)

Offline CConingsby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
REDMAN Family poss Stapleford
« on: Wednesday 27 May 09 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there, just to see if anybody has any ideas of a family named Redman in the Stapleford area of Cambridgeshire abt 1796ish, as I am trying to trace the parents of a Helen Maria Woodard Redman born abt this time.  I believe her mothers name was Margaret and Margaret was born in Calcutta but Helen was born in Stapleford.  I have tried the parish records CD but although there are Redmans there none of the first names match.
Thanx
Whaddon, HERTS - Coningsby
Melbourn, Meldreth CAMBS - Coningsby, Webb
Stoke on Trent, STAFFS - Brereton, Hawley, Thorley, Williams
Wantage, BERKS - Marcham

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: REDMAN Family poss Stapleford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 May 09 20:43 BST (UK) »
Have a look at http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html

There's a couple of Redman baptisms in Chesterton, about 5 miles from Stapleford, where the parents are Richard and Margaret. You probably found their marriage in Stapleford in 1795, if a member submission on the IGI is to be believed. As the two baptisms in Chesterton were in 1806 of a 5 and 3 year old, they don't seem to have been punctilious about baptising their children, so perhaps Helen was missed altogether

Did Helen marry?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline CConingsby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: REDMAN Family poss Stapleford
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 May 09 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there David,
Yes Helen married in 1828 in Melbourn to Alfred Coningsby and Margaret appears visting them on the 1861 census, thats how I knew where she was born.

I had a look at the CFHS site and that could be the parents of Helen but the Stapleford Marriage record for 1795 has Richard Redman and Margaret Humphrey and lists Margaret as being 'of Granchester'  I can understand the ease distancewise of Granchester to Stapleford (I grew up nearby) but I'm still puzzling over the inclusion of the Woodard in Helen's name if her mothers maiden name was Humphrey...
It is possible that Helen was missed or maybe baptised elsewhere, though if it is the right family they didn't seem to move to far out of the county at all : Grancester to Stapleford, Stapleford to Chesterton, Chesterton to Melbourn.

Thanks for your help.
Whaddon, HERTS - Coningsby
Melbourn, Meldreth CAMBS - Coningsby, Webb
Stoke on Trent, STAFFS - Brereton, Hawley, Thorley, Williams
Wantage, BERKS - Marcham