Author Topic: Old Schoolhouse, Kirkintilloch (Dinwoodie)  (Read 11707 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Old Schoolhouse, Kirkintilloch (Dinwoodie)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

As you can see, I have taken off your personal email. A couple more posts here on the main boards and you can use the Private Message service to exchange personal details.

Just wanted to comment on what a wonderful picture you have painted of the Old Schoolhouse and your time there. Sounds as you were happy there  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TanyaHill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know about the e mail. Yes we were very happy there. I remembered it was in use as a school until sometime in the 1930's, suggesting the gg grandmother could have been either the last schoolmistress or widow of the last schoolmaster. There was an old horse chestnut in the garden that must have dated back until that time, the native arum lily (lords and ladies grew there. Also a very old laurel tree contemporary with the estate gardens that once had an "army of gardeners'.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 21:20 BST (UK) »
Norma who started this post was last online in June. She should get notification of these posts and hopefully come back online soon  ;)

Monica

Offline normatrees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 August 12 17:08 BST (UK) »
Yes I'm back!
Tanya thank you so much for your wonderfully evocative description. I felt like I was there!
Also if Monica is reading this - it's great to have notification as I do tend to forget to look otherwise.
Back to the Old Schoolhouse - my GG grandmother, Janet Dinwoodie was a farmer's wife and now widowed was living with one of her sons, a gamekeeper (William Dinwoodie).
She and her husband John came from the Moffat area in Dumfriesshire, moved to a farm in Kilberry Argyle. they had 7 children then John died aged 42 when their youngest son was just 4 months.
She was still at the farm in 1881 with her son John presumably running it. She and John then lived in Govan at a dairy until his death aged 27 (of typhoid).
After that she lived with 2 of her gamekeeper sons ending up in the Old Schoolhouse. She died in 1929 aged 94!
I like to think that, after such a harsh life, her last years there were peaceful ones with family and grandchildren around her...
So your description ties it all up nicely.....
I did get in touch with the local library (in an earlier post I've called it the WP library but now can't, for the life of me remember what it stands for!) and they sent me a copy of the Valuation Roll with William Dinwoodie as tenant (£7 pa).
If you have photos of the outside of the house I would interested in seeing them.
Thanks again
Norma
Dumfriesshire - Anderson, Little, Mundell, Dinwoodie,
Thorburn, Carlyle, Thomson, Bailley, Gillespie etc

Offline TanyaHill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 August 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Norma,
We should exchange e mails which I understand we have to do in a private message. Give me a few weeks to gather up the photos which are mostly family pics, with the house in the background. You can also see an aerial picture of it if you go on google earth.
When we bought it an elderly widow of the gamekeeper was living alone in it, she was leaving to live with her family, and the estate was selling the property.
Some remnants of the original furniture were left, most interesting for your story was the old gun cupboard used by the game keepers, a table with two locking drawers that still had bullets in and a lovely old set of narrow, upright drawers, that contained a few tools. The desk and the drawers belonged to the school teachers but were being used by game keepers. We still have these things so I'll photograph them, the drawers are perfect for art materials. But these would be things familiar to your gg grandmother, all of them from the 1800's.
When I was gardening an old garden chair was unearthed, about 6 inches below the surface. It was teak and looked very old, maybe she sat in it. We oiled it and I remember the local farmer seeing it and wanting to buy it. We used it for decades and only just this summer it has collapsed, but I do have a photo of it!
Best wishes, Tanya.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 August 12 19:19 BST (UK) »
Norma, you are back!

When you are both ready, just click on the small green scroll under your user names on the l/h side to access the PM system (works very much like all message systems, with in and outbox).

Good luck with everything.

Just one thing, please post at least one photo here so we can all see the Old Schoolhouse  ;D

Monica

PS: I can help with posting the photo on here if needed...

Offline TanyaHill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 August 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
I think I understand now and certainly will but we're in the middle of house moving just now so things are a bit hectic. Thanks for the offer of help. Tanya

Offline normatrees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 April 19 23:22 BST (UK) »
Well, after all these years I have just rediscovered this post!
I don't think we went any further re the photos but I would still be interested if you are still using this forum...
cheers
Norma
Dumfriesshire - Anderson, Little, Mundell, Dinwoodie,
Thorburn, Carlyle, Thomson, Bailley, Gillespie etc