Author Topic: Hilda Rossi Clifford - did she die in South Africa?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hilda Rossi Clifford - did she die in South Africa?
« on: Wednesday 27 May 09 16:19 BST (UK) »
I have an extra fact relating to the following thread I started a while ago -

I now know that Hilda must have died before 1926.  I cannot find any trace of her returning to England - and I think this unlikely as she only emigrated in 1921.  Is there any chance of finding her death?

I am trying to find the death of Hilda Rossi Clifford.  I think she probably died in South Africa.

She emigrated to Durban in 1921 with her mother, Elizabeth Serena Clifford (see other threads ;D), her brother Arthur and sister Violet.

Arthur stayed in South Africa (his son still lives there) and Violet returned to England when Elizabeth died in 1935..... but I can't find any sign of Hilda returning to England or dying here.

The story goes that she died following a skating accident.  I have a letter written by Elizabeth to her son (my grandfather, Hilda's brother) in 1931. She mentions all of her children - except for Hilda, which leads me to think that Hilda had died by then.  The letter is addressed from 172 Ninth Avenue, Durban, Natal.

I would like to tie up this loose end and would be very grateful for any help!

Many thanks

Tilly

Lancaster- L. Buzzard  Johnson - Northampts
Lancaster, Perryer-Fulham
Clifford - London, ssx, S Africa, Berks, Wilts  
Divall-Ssx  Randall-Ssx, Surrey 
Rossi-Sienna Notts Leics London   
Brimfield    Seton 
Rix - Norfolk   Burke - Co Clare

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk