Author Topic: Anne Maria BEAVAN  (Read 9132 times)

Offline Face

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anne Maria BEAVAN
« on: Wednesday 27 May 09 20:46 BST (UK) »
This is a real shot in the dark.  I'm trying to find out any information on my great-grandmother Annie Maria Beavan.  This is all speculation but I think she was born in 1874 and died in 1914.  She was born in Hay Herefordshire/Breconshire and died there too but in 1901 Census was a visitor in Battersea, 1911 was a visitor in Kingston - what does Visitor mean?  I think she worked at Pontings Kensington High Street and she hung around with the Scarsdale Mob!  We have a few cards/paintings by George Horace Davis (was he a war artist?) addressed to her and my great-grandfather (don't think they ever married though).   My grandmother was a "nurse-child" in 1901 and an adopted child in 1911 but had a great relationship with her natural father Edgar Horace Wilson (born 1870 died 1936).  My grandmother grew up in Wantage having been born in Lechlade Glos. 

Any help with Annie Maria Beavan/Scarsdale Mob/George Horace Davis/Edgar Horace Wilson would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: ANNE MARIA BEAVAN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

A visitor was just that - somebody who happened to be visiting that particular household at the time of the census

Sometimes it is possible to show that the visitor was a relative of the householder but it all depends how much you know about the family

have you got a copy of her birth cert showing her parents names or have you found her on the 1881 census
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Maria BEAVAN
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 21:01 BST (UK) »
This could be her birth registration.

Sep 1872, Hay 11b/45
Beavan Anne Maria

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Just seen Jen's post which perhaps is more likely- in that case - ignore below  ;)

Free BMD has a birth for Annie Beavan, Hay in 1871 and that's about the only one.
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl   (if you haven't used this site before - it is quite straightforward)

1881 census can be searched for free on Ancestry.co.uk or Family Search

There is an Annie Beavan 9 yrs with parents Edwin and Louisa in Hay plus sisters and a brother.

heywood

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 21:12 BST (UK) »
There is also an Annie Beavan b Hay 1872 on the 1901 census

I have checked the full GRO index entry for the Annie Beavan who died 1914 and I think the entry is for Annie H Beavan - not Annie M.  Whoever has transcribed the entry has expressed a doubt

There is a 1902 marriage in Hereford - George Ernest Beavan to Annie Harriet/Harriett Lewis and an 1873 birth for an Ann Harriet Lewis in Madeley Shropshire
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 21:30 BST (UK) »
Family Search has a submitted entry for Annie Maria Beavan b 1870 parents William and Anne in Breconshire but not Hay.

There is also a Hannah Maria Bevan born around right time but not Hay.

As you can see Face,  it is all quite difficult. Are her birth details the same in 1911 and are there any clues there with the people she is visiting?

Who/what was the Scarsdale Mob please? Sounds interesting  ;)

If you google George Horace Davis - there is a bit about him.

Interestingly in 1901 in the Davis gousehold in Kensington is a niece who is a Draper's assistant - I think Annie Maria was a draper's assistant too?

Offline Face

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys for all the replies - the thing is we're not too sure about any of it to be honest.  My grandmother was obviously brought up by other people but was close to her natural father but we know nothing at all about her mother.  There is a note from Edgar to Phyllis which says something along the lines of "Darling Phyllis, your darling mother was 39" - does he mean when she died.......  Yes both 1901 and 1911 Census say she was born in 1874.  We have an autograph book dated the 19th July 1906 which says "To Bee (think this her nickname) Wishing her many returns of the day".

You are so right Heywood - it is difficult and so confusing.  Re the Scarsdale Mob, Pontings bought a mansion (Scarsdale House) behind the shop to house the assistants in Kensington.  No idea if she ever lived there.  But obviously lots of her friends did.  And yes she was a Draper's Assistant.

No, no real clues re the people she was visiting either - I just thought it strange she was a visitor all the time!!  I've worked out though that the niece at the Davis' house (Ethel Mary Goddard) married George Horace Davis so obviously that's the connection there between Annie and George. 

I think I'm hoping someone will see all this nonsense and say "I am related to Annie or Edgar and know all the scandal"..........lol........some hope!!

I'll keep trying but it's become a bit of an obsession - how would I go about finding out what sort of place my grandmother was born, have the road name in Lechlade by no number or anything..........any ideas?

Julie

p.s. have sent for the death certificate for the 1914 one which does look like Annie H rather than M but am grasping at straws really.  Shame I'm not famous and the BBC would take it on.......lol.........

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
The birth registration which I gave you earlier would give you Anne's parents and from there you might be able to find out more about the rest of her family.

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline deryckjohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 23:44 BST (UK) »
There is an Annie Beam b1873 in Hay  a Draper's Assistant, that could be her in 1891.

Class: RG12; Piece: 4580; Folio 29; Page 22