Author Topic: Anne Maria BEAVAN  (Read 9133 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Maria BEAVAN
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 23:50 BST (UK) »
There is an Annie Beam b1873 in Hay  a Draper's Assistant, that could be her in 1891.

Class: RG12; Piece: 4580; Folio 29; Page 22

That looks interesting deryckjohn - there are too many letters in the name for it to be Beam - looks as though it could be Bevan/Beavan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deryckjohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 May 09 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Following on from the Beavan/Bevan there is a Hannah Maria Bevan

Sep 1873 Hannah Maria Bevan    Hay    11b   131

There is also a Mary Ann Beavan in Sep 1874.

I love the way they all agree with the July birth :)

That's all for tonight.

Deryck

Offline Face

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 May 09 00:34 BST (UK) »
Sorru guys, did you see my mistake, the heading says Anne Maria Beavan when it should have read Annie........and I'm cross that there could be mistakes on the Census!!

Julie

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 May 09 01:06 BST (UK) »
I think people have realised that - don't worry  :D

The trouble is that as you haven't got a birth certificate she could be called any of those names - Anne/Hannah/Annie.

If you have your grandmother's birth certificate- you could try posting the address to see if someone could find out who was living there.

Am continuing to post this below- even though looks doubtful but it may stop someone from getting as excited as me  ;D

The young woman in Hay in 1891 does look promising.

1881 has Annie Beavan  b 1872 - parents Edwin and Louisa . He is a tailor and in 1891, when Annie is not at home he is a Draper!
However, if she is 9 in the census in 1881 she would be either born Jan-March or going into 10 yrs which would make her born 1871  ???
In fact the family are on the previous page to Annie 'Beam' so I would guess that they are the same family.
Blow! There is an Annie Beavan marrying in Hay in 1893 - to a John Davies but I can't find them anyway in 1901 and I am off to bed.  ::)

Offline deryckjohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 May 09 09:47 BST (UK) »

Blow! There is an Annie Beavan marrying in Hay in 1893 - to a John Davies but I can't find them anyway in 1901 and I am off to bed.  ::)

Hay is a tricky district, 4 counties Breconshire, Herefordshire, Powys, Radnorshire - and all those Welsh names that are easily mis-transcribed.

Checked for an Edwin Beavan Marriage.

Dec 1863 Beavan    Edwin Hay 11b 29[6_]. I checked the image and it is 296.

This matches with Louisa Price.

Deryck

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 May 09 10:58 BST (UK) »
Julie, can we get all the solid information we have on Annie down in one post?

Her daughter was born in Lechlade (in the 1890s?), father Edgar Horace Wilson - do you have this birth certificate? What are the details on it?
In 1901 she was living in Battersea - with the "Davis" family who had some link to George Horace Davis's wife.
In 1911 she was living in Kingston - with who?
She may have died in 1914 - looking at the scan, I do think this is Annie M. Beavan. It would be worth getting the certificate to see who the informant was at the time and what her address was.

We also have a possible Annie Beavan (or variants) b. 1872 (or maybe 1873?) in Hay district to Edwin and Louisa.
She may have married in 1893 to a John Davies-- could this be another link to the Davis family? If this was her, she at some point knocked a year or two off her age, but that's not uncommon.

Lechlade doesn't seem like a place Annie would have gone to have her child unless there was some family link there (on her or Edgar's side?), so that might be a place to look for Wilsons or Beavans (or Davises?) who she might have been staying with.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Face

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Maria BEAVAN
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 May 09 15:46 BST (UK) »
I'll try and be as concise as I can, but do tend to waffle......

My grandmother Phyllis (Phillis) Mabel Wilson was born on the 25.02.00 at Hambridge Lane, Lechlade. 
Father's name Edgar Horace Wilson
Mother's name Annie Maria Wilson formerly Beaven (not Beavan) on the Cert.
Occupation of father - Railway Clerk
Sig. description and residence of informant - A.M. Wilson, Mother, 3 Holland St. Kensington London as per declaration 2nd April 1900
When reg. 4th April 1900
Registrar was William Noad
Registration District Faringon, Sub District Faringdon in the counties of Berks, Oxford & Gloucester

Phyllis Mabel Wilson is on 1901 Census - as a Nurse Child aged 1 and living with John Holloway Senior and wife Elizabeth together with their daughter Alice M.F. aged 13.
In 1911 she is still living with the Holloways in Wantage but is called adopted child aged 11.
Alice is no longer at home but Margery Rae who is a grandchild aged 4 is.

Annie Maria Beavan is on the 1901 Census as a visitor at 7 Ilminster Gardens Battersea the home of Thomas L. Rogers and classed as Draper's Assistant

On the 1911 Census Annie Maria is a visitor at 33 Pelham Road Kingston, the home of Frank Sidney Manning

Both Census' state her status as Single

Edgar Horace Wilson I hope I can state categorically was born 1870 and died 1936 - he is on four Census - 1881 he is living in Bedford with his parents and siblings, is aged 11 and a scholar.  In 1891 he is living 160 Lavender Hill Battersea (just around the corner from Ilminster Gardens) with his mother, her sister and his siblings, he is 21 and a railway clerk.  In 1901 he is living at 112 Lavender Hill Battersea with his aunt, mother, two siblings and another family the Wests and a boarder.  Edgar is now 31 and still a railway clerk.

On the 1911 Census he is still at 112 Lavender with his mother, her sister and one sibling.  He is still classed as single and 41 years old and still a Clerk.

The only connection with George Horace Davis and his wife Ethel Mary is that we have a number of painted/drawn post cards addressed to either Miss Bevan (his spelling), Mr Wilson or Miss Bevan & Mr Wilson.  One card is addressed to just Edgar at 112 Lavender Hill.  The others are addressed to either/or, or the two of them to Stocks House, Clyro, Nr Hay, Herefordshire.  To confuse matters further, there is one card sent to Miss Bentley at Messrs. Pontings (shop in Kensington where she worked) and another to Miss Beavan Bentley, Stock's House, Clyroe, Nr Hay, Wales!

I hope you can see now why I am so bewildered by all this!!!!

Anyone any idea what the "declaration" on my grandmother's birth Certificate would be and do you think I'd be able to find that anywhere?

A strong coffee is now in order.........lol...........

Hope you all haven't lost the will to live

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 May 09 16:04 BST (UK) »
I was looking at something yesterday (Beavan)  connected to Clyro but can't find it now and remember thinking that I wouldn't mention it because we would be wandering off somewhere else  ::)

Here is Stock's House http://pod-103.dolphin-server.co.uk/mcc-site/pdf.php?path=content/&module=details_rpw_property_details_obj&section=&vars=propertypdf-sales-mccrps-HAY070042-1227283231

Offline Face

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 May 09 16:14 BST (UK) »
WOW........how on earth did you find that on Stock's House - I thought it wasn't there any more but don't ask me why I thought that.........der.........!!  Thank you so much for directing me to that, hairs on back of neck etc., and I feel quite emotional......I really must get out more!!! 

Is this current info or historical?  If it's current, may have to go for a viewing!!

All this blooming Beavan/Bevan/Beaven is driving me bonkers!