Author Topic: John Jones, c 1850-1878/80 - Llanelli  (Read 3953 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
John Jones, c 1850-1878/80 - Llanelli
« on: Thursday 29 April 04 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm researching one of my gggrandfather and have come up with a bit of a problem with regard to his place and date of death, and also where he is buried.

The info I have to date is:
John Jones, born ca. 1850/52 in Ysbyty Ystwyth.
In 1871 he was a grocers assistant, living in Pier St. Aberystwyth
He married Agnes Mary Rose Turner on 12 Sept 1873 in St. Michaels, Aberystwyth and they had 3 children: Thomas Crompton Weston Jones, b: 1875 in Aber; Rose Julia Anne Jones, b: 1877 in Aberystwyth; Ann Agnes Clara Jones, b:29 August 1878 in Llanelly, Carmarthen.

I have a copy of Anne Agnes Clara's (daughter) birth certificate. John Jones' profession is given as Grocer. The birth certificate was issued in Llanelly, Carms, as they were living there in Sion Row then.

In the 1881 census Agnes MR Jones was back in Aberystwyth, listed as widowed.

I have a copy of Agnes' death certificate from 12.12.1912. It states she was the widow of John Jones, Chemist. The address was Princess Street, Aberystwyth.

I assume from the above that John died between 1878 and 1880/81, probably in Llanelly, which resulted in his family moving back to Aberystwyth.

I have been in touch with Ceredigion archives who couldn't find any record of his burial in Aberystwyth nor Llanbadarn Fawr. I then tried Llanelli record office, but have since found out that they unfortunately don't do searches.

I've also tried the BMD, but keep finding its too busy, irrespective of when I try...

Could I put upon someone, if anyone happens to be around the Llanelli record offices sometime, to look up the death and/or burial of John Jones?

Also, is there any way I can find out when the family moved from Sion Row back to Aberystwyth?

Many thanks,

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Jones, c 1850-1878/80 - Llanelli
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 06 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hello D  :)

Have you managed to get these folk sorted yet?

Let us know if there are still outstanding issues to resolve

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 06 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

ta for checking up. Afraid this brickwall is still holding out.

Appreciate any help at all.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 April 06 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Presumably you have tried the BMD indexes on Ancestry (free at the moment)?  Yes, I know - JONES!  but there should be an age on records of this date.

Have you tried using Trade Directories to ascertain when John was trading and in which area?

It might be worth checking Llanelli's policy on checking records - it might have changed in the light of recent interest in family history.  Carmarthenshire Registrars were helpful when I contacted them recently (although they didn't find MY JONES!).

There is a link at the top of the board for Llanelli Parish Records:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,115786.0.html

Or speak really nicely to The Ogre!

Good luck!

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)