Author Topic: Birth certificate question  (Read 2780 times)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth certificate question
« on: Thursday 28 May 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just received the birth certificate for my Great Grandmother Mary Hazell Wilkinson's birth in 1857.
The father's name John Albert Wilkinson in col. 4 has been crossed out and the mothers surname Wilkinson has also been crossed out and her maiden name Hazell left in.
However Augusta and John are living together as man and wife in 1861 and 1871 but Augusta dies in 1872.
When Mary marries in 1878 she states her name as Mary Hazell Wilkinson and her father as John Albert Wilkinson
I don't understand why these alterations have happened or when.

Thanks ???
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate question
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 May 09 18:09 BST (UK) »
Is there a Birth Index entry for her with the Hazell surname ?

this may help fill in some gaps for you, but it sounds like one of the parties informed the registrar of those changes - ie that John Albert W wasnt able to be named as the father - after he filled it in  .... is there a marriage before or after 1857 for John & Augusta ?

Oh, and for the changes to be official, they should have a number against them with the number repeated in the margin and initialled by the Registrar .. 

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/births.htm
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 May 09 18:16 BST (UK) »
there you have it, she was effectively illegitimate ...

Marriages Dec 1859   

Hazel  Augusta Victoria     Luton  v3b p1038    to   Wilkinson  John Albert     

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 09 18:30 BST (UK) »
and I guess this is the Cert you have ?

Births Mar 1858 

Hazell  Mary Hazell    Luton  v3b p425   

so registered in Mum's name, again reflects they werent married ....

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, I did realise she was born before John and Augusta were married but why was Johns name crossed out?
I can accept that the registrar made a mistake on filling in Augusta's name thinking that she must have been married to John, but do you also think he assumed Mary was Johns child and had to strike him out aswell?
There are 2 numbered comments in the margin and numbers by the alterations which look like the handwriting of the person who filled in the certificate.
I can only assume that because John's name was entered and then struck out he was Augusta's boyfriend at the time, but was he Mary's father?
If Mary was illegitimate would the father's name have been entered if it were known?
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)