Author Topic: records prior to 1800  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: records prior to 1800
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 May 09 08:31 BST (UK) »

Gadget, what are Kirk Session Records? I've found marriages and births on SP, the problem is identifying them as been the correct one as the included information becomes increasingly scetchy. I'm not sure how to confirm whether the birth record that I'm looking at is for the correct person as the parents names don't appear to be listed anywhere else. When you've got 20-odd James' Snaddons all in the same area it's a bit hard to identify the correct one without a bit more info :)

Hi Heather

Here's some info on them:

http://genealogypro.com/articles/NAS.html

It also lists  other  sources that might be useful. Unfortunatley,  they are mostly not online.

I see your problem. I've had to deal with  Jones in Wales  (a few John and Marys included)  ::)   Do any of the baptisms give a house/settlement name?

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline HeatherL

• I am sorry my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 May 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ron. I thought that the state library only held local stuff? I'm in adelaide, and while there is a huge FH section, outside of some books and computer access everything appears to be dealing with SA FH. Can you access scotish records at the one in sydney? If you can, then I can probably order copies of them at the one here.

Gadget, that's a really cool link. I didn't even know that one was there :) The Kirk session records sound interesting. Do you have to access them in person, or do you know if they have a web interface so that you can order copies of specific records? In terms of my James'. I accessed the first 3 and then decided to come back to it when I had more info so that I didn't waste all of my SP credits. Of the ones that I looked at, I didn't see any house or settlement names. Just the date, childs name and parents names.
Snaddon (and variations... of which there appear to be many...)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 May 09 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather  :)

If you go to:

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

and enter Clackmannanshire or Snaddon or whatever, you'll see what is held by the NAS and the location of the records.

Unfortunately, most of them are in Edinburgh. I've been a few times and spent hours going through papers, minutes, etc. on my ancestors. Other sources for you would be:

http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/culture/archives/

http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/culture/archiveprivatedeposits/

and

http://www.familia.org.uk/services/scotland/clackmannanshire.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ron Lankshear

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ron in the Bush near his Sydney home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 May 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
NSW State Library holds a lot more than "local records" - such as a whole century of London trade directories - BMD fiche they cal St Caths and UK parish records.

I'd say visit your SA library and check it out - maybe they have on line
and National Library will give you access to various newspaper collections check my genealogy links
Ron was born in Shepherds Bush and "knew" London fairly well
LANKSHEAR EAGLE SKEGGS RUSSELL HAYBALL HALE ROBBINS KING PAXFORD PAIGE
family history with many research links for everyone at
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~lankshear/

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 May 09 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,
The South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry Soc.
www.saghs.org.au

are in Adelaide and would be worth joining I am a member of the Victorian Genealogical soc and have met some amazing people who have taken me by the hand  on several occasions and are so helpful .
kind regards, Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 May 09 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ron. I thought that the state library only held local stuff? I'm in adelaide, and while there is a huge FH section, outside of some books and computer access everything appears to be dealing with SA FH. Can you access scotish records at the one in sydney? If you can, then I can probably order copies of them at the one here.

Gadget, that's a really cool link. I didn't even know that one was there :) The Kirk session records sound interesting. Do you have to access them in person, or do you know if they have a web interface so that you can order copies of specific records? In terms of my James'. I accessed the first 3 and then decided to come back to it when I had more info so that I didn't waste all of my SP credits. Of the ones that I looked at, I didn't see any house or settlement names. Just the date, childs name and parents names.

Heather, there are 11 LDS centres in South Australia.  The nearest to Adelaide seem to be:

Fulham Gardens Australia
413 Tapley's Hill Road
Fulham Gardens, South Australia, Australia
Phone: 61-08-8356-9977
Hours: T 9.30am-9pm

Marion Australia
5-9 Cutting Road
Marion, South Australia, Australia
Phone: 61-08-8276-7849
Hours: M 9am-1pm; W,Th,F 10am-2pm

Modbury Australia
Von Braun Crescent